aeration level for dried yeast (wb06)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aeration level for dried yeast (wb06)

Going to brew a hefe Monday with this yeast. First time. Have seen a few mentions of not aerating, or under-aerating. Trying to wrap my head around what that means. What is the reasoning, and what are others doing with this dried (or other) yeast in terms of aeration? If cutting it down, by how much? 50%? This is from Fermentis website, but doesn't really quantify my question much.

Does the wort need Oxygenation / aeration?
    As the yeast is grown aerobically, the yeast is less sensitive on first pitch. Aeration is recommended to ensure full mixing of the wort and yeast.

Thanks,
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Bump. Anyone with feedback on how much/if any O2 to aerate with on a dry yeast (wheat, WB06) pitch?
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Comment

None.

Aeration is not required for Fermentis dry yeast. Nor is it required for Lallemand.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

No aeration leads to longer lag phase

In my experience (with Lallemand yeast), no aeration resulted in a longer lag phase. I had faster more vigorous fermentations after I started aerating.

Comment

none

I agree with Phil here. I brewed an 8bbl batch using SO4 last week using no earation and had a lag time of less than 5 hours and heavy bubbling in the blow off bucket by the time we checked it the following morning (12-14 hours).

rick

Comment

Working...
          X