Efficiency Issues - with a Wit Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficiency Issues - with a Wit Beer

I can't seem to get my efficiency about 60% with making this Wit beer, and that's with rice hulls in mash! I can't figure out if I'm pulling too fast, and compacting the bed, or maybe too slow. All my other beers I"m getting 80%+, except this one. I'm using toasted wheat, in this one.

Maybe I should pay more attention to the gravity at each bbl, to see how well I'm lautering at each bbl? I've been paying more attention to balancing the sparge water on top of the mash.

If I'm attempting to get 1.050 pre-boil @ 5bbl, and at 4bbls I have 1.030 (this numbers are fictitious fyi). I would want to stop as my gravity is only going to go down, it will never go up, correct? In some cases I have been boiling until I get to my pre-boil gravity, then I begin my 60min (or whatever) countdown from that point. I can't figure out why my gravity is so low, way before I even come close to hitting my target bbl's.

How do you guys make up for lower efficiencies?

Have you thought about whether your crush could be the issue? We had efficiency losses on a 50/50 pale/wheat beer due to the wheat not being crushed fine enough. Those small kernels were slipping through the mill.

Comment

I order in pre-milled grains. Maybe that is my problem. The toasted wheat gives me problems, the white wheat malt does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphaacid View Post
        I order in pre-milled grains. Maybe that is my problem. The toasted wheat gives me problems, the white wheat malt does not.
        This would be the problem. Mill your own grain to have more control over this. Use pregelatinised (flaked/torrified) wheat or unmalted wheat kernels milled VERY finely and you should be ok.

Comment

Working...
        X