Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with wyeast 3068 weihenstephaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with wyeast 3068 weihenstephaner?

We did our first batch with this strain and made a German hefe, it's Delish with nice clove characteristics. It was fermented at 22 celcius. If I wanted to make a banana bread brown ale how do I achieve more banana and less clove? My thoughts are to pitch lower and ferment higher temps. Can anyone verify?

I use it in my Weiss. I only give it o2 for half the knock out and at 18c and let it rise to 20c your blow off bucket will smell of banana.

Comment

Our blow off smelled like rhino farts for the last one. How long does it take for your KO, and how many LPM O2?

Comment

My knock outs last about an hour. I think i am about 2-5 lpm o2

Comment

Our KO takes about an hour as well, and I usually oxygenate at about .75 LPM the entire KO for Med gravity beers. Maybe I'll try ..3-.4 LPM for more nanner
          Last edited by Junkyard; 06-05-2015, 07:01 AM.

Comment

What is your starting gravity? mine is 12p 60% wheat.

Comment

1.049- 60% wheat, 12 lbs of agave nectar in a 3bbl batch

Comment

Underpitch

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
                We did our first batch with this strain and made a German hefe, it's Delish with nice clove characteristics. It was fermented at 22 celcius. If I wanted to make a banana bread brown ale how do I achieve more banana and less clove? My thoughts are to pitch lower and ferment higher temps. Can anyone verify?
                In our brewery we underpitch this strain and ferment out at 75F and get pretty good results. The key is to stress the yeast to get the banana esters. That's what Wyeast suggests on their website. This is definitely a sulfury strain and must be let condition post fermentation to clean up after itself. If you sample the wort mid-ferment in our brewery it tastes like a glass of farts. Nasty nasty farts.

Comment

Underpitch significantly, ferment warm, don't oxygenate heavily, no yeast nutrient, etc. Basically do everything bad to it you can and you'll get the banana. If you're into dried yeast Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat is the dried version of this strain and I love it!!

Comment

if your looking for something like wells banana bread beer, get some of this stuff

Comment

Working...
                    X