Outdoor FV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor FV

We have run out of room inside and I am looking to put a couple of tanks outside. Folks who have done this, anything special I need to be aware of? I am planning a tall fence, but what do you do for sample valves, tri-clamps, etc. to make sure no one tampers with the beer inside the tank? Do I need a way to warm the tank in the winter?

Thanks
    Chris
    Founder, Head Brewer
    Pikes Peak Brewing Co.
    Monument, CO

We have two tall FVs that stick up through the roof, with about half the tanks exposed to the weather (don't do this). We have no problems with temperatures at either extreme of 100F+ in the summers and -20F in the winter.

For security, remove all handles from valves, or consider using lock-out covers (something like this: http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/pdpv/...FYeVfgodj7UABQ ). For TC connections, just remove the wing-nut and replace it with an SS Nylock nut--these are self-locking nuts with nylon inserts, and require a wrench to reomove. All our TC clamps use 5/16-18 nuts, which should be available at your local hardware store.

Of course, if anyone wants to really mess with you, they will. There also may be some legal problems with exposed fermenters.
    Last edited by TGTimm; 06-06-2015, 11:34 AM.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
    X