Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trench Drain Materials

Hello!

I'm working on the final materials list for our build out and one of the items that left me a bit shocked was the stainless steel trench drains. I'm looking at poly and 'polycast' trench drains as possible cheaper alternatives. My concern is most of these are only rated up to 185 degree water. I'm curious if other people have used materials other then stainless for there drains.

Bill Campbell

Our plumber recommended an HDPE trench drain from NDS; never again will I do that. Within the first 10 months, it was cracked in several places. Now, at nearly 2.5 years, it is getting close to failure. Luckily we are moving our brewing operations or I would be replacing it very soon. The old adage, buy cheap, pay twice is definitely at play here.

Comment

Yeah NDS Dura Slope can suck it. Three years and I'm trying to figure out how and when I'm going to replace it, or fill it, or take it out to a big open field Office Space style, or something....

Steel good. Otherwise make sure your plastic is good against hot liquids, cold liquids, acids, bases, expanding or contracting concrete, weight loads, sunlight, darkness, witches, bigfeets, acid blood from Xenomorphs, fire, lack of fire, Wet Wicked Witch Syndrome, spontaneous combustion, and anything else you can think of.
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We have been happy with a pre sloped drain system from ABT Drainage. Its a polymer concrete material but has held up well to some heavy use.
        The preslope was really easy to work with as well...

Comment

What prices are you seeing for the stainless steel trench drains? We are in the early stages of pricing for our build out and the initial research on trench drains didn't seem too bad. Though we're talking in subjective terms, I want to make sure we aren't overlooking something.

Comment

Originally posted by jbell71464 View Post
            We have been happy with a pre sloped drain system from ABT Drainage. Its a polymer concrete material but has held up well to some heavy use.
            The preslope was really easy to work with as well...

How long have you been using it? What sort of things do you send down it?

Comment

Originally posted by TGK View Post
              What prices are you seeing for the stainless steel trench drains? We are in the early stages of pricing for our build out and the initial research on trench drains didn't seem too bad. Though we're talking in subjective terms, I want to make sure we aren't overlooking something.
              ~$120 a linear foot is what I have been quoted by a couple of vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyB View Post
                How long have you been using it? What sort of things do you send down it?
                We have been using it almost a full year. It has held up well to acids and pbw and general cleaning. We do currently use caustic, but we have a trench in front of the brewhouse and another in front of the fermenters. We have dumped our fair share of boil temp wort and water down them with no issues so far. We have also driven our forklift over them without issue.

Comment

Where are you seeing stainless trenches for $120 per foot? Zurn has their stainless at $359!

Anybody used Fiber Reinforced Polymer/Vinylester trenches?

With over a century engineering water solutions, we’ve learned that there’s always room for improvement. We also understand that some projects require a little extra support. Whether it’s our expert teams, digital tools or the latest product enhancement, we’re here to help you achieve a sustainable, high-performing building every step of the way.

Appears to have good chemical and temp resistance and with the right grates is rated for forklift traffic. I had never heard of it before, so looking for any experiences good or bad. Comes in around $159 per foot with acid resistant forklift rated ductile grates.
                  Jonathan Newman
                  The Virginia Beer Company
                  Williamsburg, VA

Comment

We are going through this now. Our stainless trench came in at $325/ft.

We are also going with polypropylene piping from the trench to the sewer. The biggest polypropylene trench we've found is only 4 in wide. Polypropylene can handle 225 deg temp and does well with diluted caustic mix.

Comment

Yes, that was a long day after work typo. Should have been ~$320.

I think the issue with materials that say they can "handle" high temperatures, exposure to acids, etc. is that while they can do that a few times, it seems like repeated exposure causes issues.

One thing I was pondering is how much it might be to just have a local welder fabricate the trench itself to hold an existing grate... especially because I don't need a stainless grate necessarily.

Comment

We were at just about $350 a foot and our plans cal for 104'. The polycast is $60 a foot and there telling me it will hold up. So here I am with the trains costing almost as much as 2 60bbl FVs! One of the other things I was asking the flooring guy about is if we could seal it in with epoxy for 'double protection' but he said that wasn't possible given the angles. If your happy with the ADT drainage I'll see how they spec out. Thanks everyone for the information.

Bill

Comment

We have a stainless trench drain for sale if you're still looking.

Comment

concrete?

We are also starting a new expansion. Has anyone used or know of anyone using poured concrete drains. The actual trench is concrete poured around a foam form. They also have stainless grates to match. The company is called Multi Drain

Comment

Originally posted by Whitewall View Post
                              We are also starting a new expansion. Has anyone used or know of anyone using poured concrete drains. The actual trench is concrete poured around a foam form. They also have stainless grates to match. The company is called Multi Drain
                              Poured concrete drains are good, especially when you need to control depth. Since it's essentially a frame (stainless in this case, I assume?) embedded into the concrete, it holds tight and for a long time. And, since it's made from concrete it will expand/contract at the same rate as the rest of the floor. You won't get the buckling people see with plastic systems like Dura Slope.
                              Depending on how you do it, though, you're not getting the same chemical tolerance as polymer concrete modular systems (ABT, Polycast). Polymer concrete drains have a resin mixed in to boost chemical resistance, and you don't get that with a former system. Unless you special mix the cement, that is.
                              Trench Drain Systems
                              sales@trenchdrainsystems.com
                              TrenchDrainSystems.com
                              610-638-1221

Comment

Working...
                              X