Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purging brite tanks w/ water.

Hey all,

Had seen this process mentioned a few times on here and got talking w/ another brewer at a (much) larger facility here in town. I had seen a de-aerated water tank in their facility during a guild meeting, and assumed they were using it for purging tanks; however, he told me their current SOP is to just use regular city water. While agreeing that de-aerated water would be more "optimal", they said they've tested it both ways and the difference was pretty negligible considering the slow, gentle push out of the tank w/ inert gas.

We were wanting to try this out for our next scheduled hot clean/breakdown, but like many can't afford a DO meter at the moment. Does anybody that uses this method have any real world data they could share? Is the single push out w/ CO2 enough, or would a couple 5 psi purges after be good insurance?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

My two cents - if you are going to double purge after, you are just wasting the tank of water - unless of course you are capturing for reuse. I always feel that I waste too much water, but I probably over purge - twice at 7 psi - to compensate. Also, purging a full tank of water - do you sanitize first, after, or...
    I did the fill and purge with kegs for a while - pushing sanitizer from keg to keg, but the purging with water always left me feeling my tank wasn't sanitized.
    Not dissing the practice, just jumping in to join the conversation.
    David

Comment

2 cents always appreciated!

I should have mentioned about the water, but we are re-collecting into our liquor tanks. I just tested it and maybe wasted 10-20 gallons at most on a 40 BBL tank, but I realize it won't always work out that way. Since we're acid cleaning our brites under pressure though, I figured this would be more of a once a month type thing when we finally break it down and run caustic on it.

The plan after that was to run a sani-cycle under pressure as usual. The need for additional purges does seem wasteful, but the goal is more for lower DO in the tank vs saving any CO2 (at least until we can get a meter and verify).
      Last edited by CharlosCarlies; 06-09-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I cip and purge through the bottom the day before leaving the tank under 30 psi over night. that time allows any sany on the walls to drain to the bottom and co2 to settle to the bottom and any o2 to rise to the top.

Comment

When I did purges this way I actually had a spare tank that would hold sani - I'd fill the tank with that and then purge - it also works well if you're doing multiple brites or servers in a row. No DO meter at the facility but never had O2 problems with that procedure. I know a couple other brewers that fill and purge and say they get virtually no O2 in the tank after the purge.
          Manuel

Comment

Working...
          X