Canada Malt vs Great Western

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Malt vs Great Western

Anyone have any opinions regarding Canada Malt 2 Row and Pale Ale vs the comparable malts from Great Western?

Haven't used the Canada 2 row or Pale. But I love their Superior Pils malt. That's my favorite pilsner malt, and I've tried them all.
    Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
      Haven't used the Canada 2 row or Pale. But I love their Superior Pils malt. That's my favorite pilsner malt, and I've tried them all.
      That's encouraging, thanks for the input. Anyone else?

Comment

The Canada Malt pale is a bit darker than most NA 'two row' malts that you see on the market, but doesn't have the same rounded flavours as English stuff like Marris or Golden Promise.

As far as the straight two row, its a wash between that and Great Western two row, not identical, but its all personal preference, you have to try it to find out. The Great Western Organic Two Row on the other hand, seems to have a much deeper flavour than the straight Two Row, but I wouldn't say outright that it is worth the price difference, or couldn't be compensated for with a dash of specialty malt.

Overall my preference is actually the Rahr two row out of Alix, but given my location (between Canada Malt and Rahr Alix) they are both much easier (and cheaper) to come by than the Great Western.

End of the day, buy a bag of each and make something pale and not hoppy on the test system with each, you wont get a better answer than that for your own preference.

Comment

Given that it's malted about three hours away from me, I use a lot of GW Northwest Pale Ale. Nice flavor, performs well. Not as much a fan of the straight 2-row. It's very plain, very clean, very boring.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
          X