Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefruit/citrus IPA

Hi there,

I am looking at doing an IPA with grapefruit and other citrus peel. If anyone has some experience and input on this type of beer I would appreciate it. So far I'm thinking of using fresh grapefruit and other citrus peel in the hopback combined with some fruity and citrusy American hops. I don't really know how much of the peel would be necessary, lbs/bbl.

Cheers

For what it's worth..

I have limited experience with this, but personally I would try experimenting with infusions before brew day. Start by adding a little of your unwaxed (or organic) citrus zest to a litre of boiled water. Let the water cool, smell and taste. Obviously add more zest in measured increments until you have what tastes right to you. Then obviously multiply the amount of citrus zest you used for the water test by the amount of litres of wort in your copper.

I'd personally add a little more to take into account the obvious differences in water/wort. As we say when making tea in England 'one for the pot'.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

I have worked with zest in neutral alcohol spirits by making tinctures for some flavor but found the best way is to get fruit concentrate from a reputable source like Perfect Puree. I just did a blood orange Double Red IPA and it was fantastic!The smell and taste far surpasses anything you get from zest. I did add some sweet orange peel 1/2 pound per bbl to the boil with 5 minutes before K.O. to enhance the citrus I got. I added 12 32/oz containers of blood orange concentrate in the fermenter post ferment and dry hoping then filtered it and it was spot on.
        Last edited by hallertau2000; 07-09-2015, 07:47 AM.
        Hop It And Bitterness Will Come

James Costa
        Brewmaster
        Half Moon Bay Brewing Co.
        El Granada,Ca

Comment

Tanks hallertau 2000, if only we had someone like Perfect Puree in the land of Oz...

Comment

Batch size?

Originally posted by hallertau2000 View Post
            I added 12 32/oz containers of blood orange concentrate in the fermenter post ferment and dry hoping then filtered it and it was spot on.
            Great info. Just ordered their complimentary samples. What was your batch size?

Paul
            IGB

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Goat View Post
              Great info. Just ordered their complimentary samples. What was your batch size?

Paul
              IGB

For that one it was a half batch 7.5 bbls

James Costa
              Brewmaster
              El Granada,Ca

Comment

I always add my fruit flavors to the brite tank. I dont have the benefit of a nano system so I can adjust the flavor and or aroma as I need to. I also use some perfect puree products and some fresh juice from local markets. I have found it best to add juice mix via carb stone then let it sit overnight as flavors change after it sits for a while
                Mike Eme
                Brewmaster

Comment

Those of you who have used juices, didnt get any vomit flavors? I was told grapefruit juice would do just that which I why I am experimenting with fresh zest in place of it. I would rather use juice/puree fwiw.
                  Denver, Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by morolen View Post
                    Those of you who have used juices, didnt get any vomit flavors? I was told grapefruit juice would do just that which I why I am experimenting with fresh zest in place of it. I would rather use juice/puree fwiw.

What, is vomit not a selling point in your market? Just tell them you are ahead of the curve and its the next sour or gose trend.
                    Last edited by briangaylor; 07-10-2015, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I have worked with zest in neutral alcohol spirits by making tinctures for some flavor but found the best way is to get fruit concentrate from a reputable source like Perfect Puree. I just did a blood orange Double Red IPA and it was fantastic!The smell and taste far surpasses anything you get from zest. I did add some sweet orange peel 1/2 pound per bbl to the boil with 5 minutes before K.O. to enhance the citrus I got. I added 12 32/oz containers of blood orange concentrate in the fermenter post ferment and dry hoping then filtered it and it was spot on.
                      Hey hallertau2000, when you added the concentrate to your FV, did you let the concentrate ferment out or did you add it to the cold fermented beer?

Comment

Originally posted by briangaylor View Post
                        What, is vomit not a selling point in your market? Just tell them you are ahead of the curve and its the next sour or gose trend.
                        This made me lol. Add some salt, maybe ferment with yeast you cultured from the tree in the parking lot...haha

Comment

Originally posted by Gbbc View Post
                          Hey hallertau2000, when you added the concentrate to your FV, did you let the concentrate ferment out or did you add it to the cold fermented beer?
                          After ferment and dry hop it was cold.

James Costa
                          Brewmaster
                          El Granada,Ca

Comment

After ferment and dry hop it was cold.
                            awesome hallertau2000, will give this a go. Got my hands on some blood orange concentrate. Just to make sure, you used 12 x 32oz/7.5bbl's?

Comment

Yes the concentrate I used had a recommended dilution rate of 2.2 parts water to 1 part concentrate to give you an idea of the strength of the concentrate I used.

James Costa
                              Brewmaster
                              El Granada,Ca

Comment

Working...
                              X