Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Chiller install in basement - flowing up

Hey Guys,
    I have a 1/2 hp chiller that I 'm looking to chill two fv's. Question is, will there be any issues installing in the basement and pushing the glycol up about 16ft to the fv's? Or do I need to install the chiller above the fv's?

I'm just wondering if there would be any issues going up with such a small compressor

Thanks,
    Brian

The chiller supplier should definitely be able to provide the answer here. I was educated once by an engineer who specialized in piping design who explained that technically you will offset the vertical lift on your supply side with the return loop dropping back down the 16' to the basement- but it's definitely something I would be concerned with and see if they can answer if their system will service your layout.

A couple other issues to be aware of;

If your tank is vented to the atmosphere, you could have an issue with the reservoir overflowing when the system is shut off (even though technically the fluid pump should run all the time). You can install a one-way check valve on the supply to prevent the fluid from back feeding during an off cycle and a normally closed solenoid valve on the return thats interlock with the chiller pump to prevent this.

If the chiller system is air cooled, it will also generate alot of heat, essentially transferring all of the removed heat from your product into the basement space. This could lead to high head pressure alarms or at the very least a big hit in operating efficiency due to high condensing temperatures.

Good Luck- hope this was helpful.

Jim
    jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Thanks Jim, the info is much appreciated!

Comment

Do you recommend a certain type of solenoid and check valve? How do you wire the solenoid into the chiller? Thank you!

Originally posted by jimvgjr View Post
        The chiller supplier should definitely be able to provide the answer here. I was educated once by an engineer who specialized in piping design who explained that technically you will offset the vertical lift on your supply side with the return loop dropping back down the 16' to the basement- but it's definitely something I would be concerned with and see if they can answer if their system will service your layout.

A couple other issues to be aware of;

If your tank is vented to the atmosphere, you could have an issue with the reservoir overflowing when the system is shut off (even though technically the fluid pump should run all the time). You can install a one-way check valve on the supply to prevent the fluid from back feeding during an off cycle and a normally closed solenoid valve on the return thats interlock with the chiller pump to prevent this.

If the chiller system is air cooled, it will also generate alot of heat, essentially transferring all of the removed heat from your product into the basement space. This could lead to high head pressure alarms or at the very least a big hit in operating efficiency due to high condensing temperatures.

Good Luck- hope this was helpful.

Jim
        jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com
        www.prochillers.com

Comment

Working...
        X