Health Department Requirement Questions- 3 Sink Rig & Growler Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Department Requirement Questions- 3 Sink Rig & Growler Procedures

Hey Everyone. I'm sure the regulations are discussed up and down, but they're quite frustrating...

We just got through with our annual health inspection. We got a couple things that are bothering me, so I am wondering how you handle two things/industry standard.

First, they are requiring us to put a three or four compartment sink which is big enough to hold all of our equipment, including all brewing hoses, totes that grain are stored in, five gallon buckets, and all pipes that aren't permanently attached. We are the only brewery under the reign of this Health Department, so they don't quite understand how it works with sanitizing and washing hoses, pipes, etc. We tried explaining procedure, got us nowhere.

Second is growler cleaning and washing. We currently take back all growlers and exchange for new/cleaned growlers. We do this so we can check and monitor the cleanliness and condition of the growlers (if they are cracked they will blow when under pressure from the beer). They said we aren't allowed to do this even if we run it through the current 3 compartment sink, as it is harder to clean a growler than a glass. So we're just supposed to refill, that is all. Any advice for anyone that has been through this and know how to convince the health department.

Thanks for the help or suggestions!
Working...
X