Single Batch into Double Fermenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Batch into Double Fermenters

I just upgraded my fermenters from 3 bbl to 6 bbl tanks. I wanted to get back to brewing but our busy season is not quite here so I didn't want to brew a double batch and sit on it. I measured the location of the thermowell and the co2 stone and decided that I would have 8-10" above those so I should be good. I went ahead and brewed, the fermentation went fine in regards to the temp control. Once I dropped the yeast and began to crash I noticed a problem. I am down at 40 degrees but it takes about 24 hours per degree. I cant seem to be able to get it below 40 degrees.
    I am wondering if this is because the majority of the cooling jacket is above the beer in the straight walled sides and just a smaller amount in the cone? These tanks are only single zones and being run by a 3/4HP glycol chiller.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Cheers

UPDATE......
    I stopped brewing single Batches due to this cooling problem, but it hasn't seemed to get much better with double batches. Now I am wondering if it has to do with my chiller.
    I can easily get the beer down to 3ish but really won't go any lower. I used to have a 1/3hp chiller on 3bbl tanks and it worked great, now with a 3/4hp chiller just doesn't seem enough for 6bbl. I have questioned my 1/2 inch lines from the chiller to the fermenters, I went 1/2 inch because all the fittings on the chiller pump are smaller than that.
    Does anyone have any advice they might be willing to share.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
      UPDATE......
      I stopped brewing single Batches due to this cooling problem, but it hasn't seemed to get much better with double batches. Now I am wondering if it has to do with my chiller.
      I can easily get the beer down to 3ish but really won't go any lower. I used to have a 1/3hp chiller on 3bbl tanks and it worked great, now with a 3/4hp chiller just doesn't seem enough for 6bbl. I have questioned my 1/2 inch lines from the chiller to the fermenters, I went 1/2 inch because all the fittings on the chiller pump are smaller than that.
      Does anyone have any advice they might be willing to share.

Half-inch fittings will result in a pressure drop across them, when there's only a few - at the pump - this might be ok, but to plumb the whole system that way could cause a lot of flow problems. You'll often see the outlet of a centrifugal pump that's smaller than the overall piping system diameter like this http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/1745545_f520.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I need to look into redoing the entire system with 3/4 inch lines.

I have 1/2 solenoid valves, will these cause too much pressure drop or do you think I can leave these and just reduce down to them.

Comment

Well you're going to spend $40 on couplers and reducers to reduce 3/4 line to 1/2 on either side of the valve and you'll have 2x as many threaded connections to potentially leak or you can spend 40-100/valve to replace w/ a 3/4 solenoid ($40 on Amazon Industrial, 107 on McMaster).

Do the job right the first time.

Comment

Jcastel,
            Thanks for talking some sense into me. Since I just installed the brand new 1/2" system I was trying to save some money, but it's not worth it. I have everything on order, I will post the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Curious to hear the results. As long as your glycol temp is good - flow really should be the root of your problem through the jacket. If you're really curious you could put a rotometer somewhere in the line before and after the install and see a change.

Comment

I'm curious as well. Glycol temp is 28 so that shouldn't be the problem.

Comment

Pumping at the same linear velocity through the lines gives you double the flowrate as the cross-sectional area of 3/4 pipe is 2.3x. How many BTU is the chiller? How many 6bbl tanks do you have crashing at once? Would 24hr to reach 40° be ideal? What's the temp at beginning of crash? I can do the math for you if I have those figures (will be approximate as would need a bunch of info about the tanks, wall thickness, jacket coverage etc).

Comment

The chiller is a 3/4 hp line chiller 5,5000 btu.
                    Only 1 tank crashing at once, others would just be kept at temp during fermentation
                    The avg start temp is 67.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Code:
                      BTU/hr x System Efficiency = ((Volume*Density)*(Starting Temp - Final temp))/(Hours)

(Hours)*(BTU/hr x System Efficiency) = ((Volume*Density)*(Starting Temp - Final temp))

Hours = ((Volume*Density)*(Starting Temp - Final temp)) / (BTU/hr x System Efficiency)

8.94 Hours = ((6bbl*31gal/bbl*8.33lb/gal)*(67°F-40°F))/(5500*0.85)
                      Assuming an 85% system efficiency (pump heating, friction heat, not perfect tank insulation, glycol line heatup etc) and good turbulent flow in the jackets, I hope you'll be crashing in under 10 hours w/ a 5500BTU chiller.

Comment

Hey that's awesome. Thanks so much. I'll report back next week.

Comment

Alright, I got the new piping installed. New 3/4 pex, new prv, more ball valves and new solenoid valves. I tried to cut out as many 90's as I could to reduce pressure loss. I got the system fired up and the tanks filled and it definitely works better.
                          I crashed a tank from 72 to 44 in 9 hours. By the time I came in the next morning the tank was at 35. This is way better.
                          Thanks so much for the info and help on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad to hear it. Sorry the solution required $ but I'm happy the math (somewhat) checked out to real-world results.

If you got from 72-44 in 9hrs @5500BTU and you were at 6BBL fill volume, you're running 88% efficiency, better than my guess! Means that to get from 72->35 your total time was just under 12hrs.
                            Last edited by jcastle; 08-04-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X