Brewing jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing jobs

So I am looking to get into the brewing or distilling industry, but from a unique background and I was hoping someone would have a suggestion.

I am a brewer by heart but a financial analyst by training. I have spent a number of years in investment banks plugging away at financial models and spreadsheets and want to do work for someoen else - a place that combines my intrest in (home) brewing with my natural ability for quantitative analysis. Are there jobs out there or is this too radical of a switch?

Breweries must need people who understand numbers and financial models too right? They are a business as much as anyone? All help appreciated.

every brewery Ive ever seen has had or needed a book keeper. its a busy job too, I imagine you could dabble with sales too if you like that sort of thing. You could also come out and help on the bottling line when your not too busy on the computer
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

Actually, Bill, that's a skill that's very much lacking in the industry at the smaller levels many of us are at. When we launched our B2 location, I ran a financial model as an Excel spreadsheet that I dubbed "SimBrewery" because in took about every variable into account and came back with a break even analysis.

We try to use the "facts and data" as much as possible prior to making big purchases to see if we can absorb the cost until it pays for itself. We use it project how much more product we need to sell to pay for a new truck, or hire that additional delivery driver.

Many things we are probably ignorant of, but I would hazard a guess that we are pretty in tune and enlightened about our financial situation as a business. However, there many out there who aren't, and your skills would be of great value to them. On the bad side of this discussion is the fact that many smaller businesses are quite literally hand to mouth operations and probably couldn't afford a dedicated financial planner unless they double dutied on other tasks, as Michael Murphy recommended below.

Comment

Brian,

Any chance you would share your Excel spreadsheet with us? It sounds like it could be another useful tool for those of us planning a brewpub as well as those adding another pub. Thank you.

Phil

Comment

I'd love to see that spreadsheet, too, Brian...

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X