Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PKA Kegs and Root Beer Extract- Help Me Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PKA Kegs and Root Beer Extract- Help Me Please!!

So, I've got a crapload of PKA 1/2 bbls that I bought used. The brewery that I got them from was less than spectacular about kegging their root beer in segregated root beer kegs (maybe why they went under when all their beer tasted like root beer- Root Beer IPA anyone?). I've tried to wash them using my standard protocols which is fine for all of my other kegs (also PKA kegs). I still get a strong root beer taint in those kegs. I tried the hottest caustic clean I felt comfortable with with them. Still there. I've soaked them overnight with a strong caustic soak. Didn't cut it.

Aside from the "You shouldn't use PKA kegs" argument (duly noted, and thanks for the input), am I screwed? Does anyone have thoughts on this? I guess I'm an oddity in the brewing industry, in that I don't now and never will make root beer, so I can't even "just make those my root beer kegs". It will suck pretty hardcore to replace a fair portion of my fleet because of this.

I should probably note that the brewery used a very commonly available Root Beer Extract- not sure which one, but it's one of the big ones.

Thanks in advance folks!!

Our experience is that once root beer is in contact with any surface for an extended period of time, the taint is essentially permanent. Everything I use to process root beer is dedicated solely to that purpose.
    Jeff Drum - Brewer
    San Diego Brewing Co.

Comment

JDrum,

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for getting back to me.

Comment

Working...
      X