Mash Tun Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash Tun Design

I'm currently using a mash tun that seems to have a large space under the false bottom relative to its diameter. Consequently, in order to cover the grain bed with water, the volume of water relative to the grain weight is higher than I've used in my home brewing set up. Thus, when infusion mashing, instead of 1 or 1.25 quarts per pound of grain, I need to use 1.5 to 2.0 quarts per pound of grain in order to cover the grain bed. This makes it difficult to figure out the right strike temperature. It also seems to make it difficult to get a consistent temperature throughout the grain bed. Is there some optimal mash tun design, i.e. distance of false bottom above the kettle bottom relative to the diameter of the kettle? or Are there schedules that would make it easier to determine the right strike temperature given the volume under the false bottom relative to the diameter of the kettle. Perhaps after some trial and error I'll figure out a system that works, but would value any information that could help.

Do you have a grist hydrator?
    May be recirculating liquid in the mash tun (out from under the false bottom in on top of the bed) and stirring the mash?

Comment

Are you using Beersmith or other brewing software?

We are using Beersmith to build our recipes and in the equipment profile setup there is a box for dead space, knowing that may help. Have you thought of using the collected wort under the false bottom as a means for step mashing via a RIMS setup? It may help you get more consistent temps in the short run and open up step mashing later on down the line.
      Bill Walden
      Oddball Brewing Co.
      Suncook, NH

Comment

@Opera, did you find out the optimum height at which the false bottom should sit from the bottom? I am designing a new 7bbl mash/lauter tun and I can't figure out how high I should place the false bottom.

Comment

No, not really. I've learned to adjust my strike temperatures to my particular situation. The only thing I can recommend is to look at some operational mash tuns that seem to work well, and measure the height beneath the false bottom relative to the diameter of the vessel.

Opera House

Originally posted by parthamehendale View Post
          @Opera, did you find out the optimum height at which the false bottom should sit from the bottom? I am designing a new 7bbl mash/lauter tun and I can't figure out how high I should place the false bottom.

Comment

I guess that's the way to go then. I'll visit a few microbreweries and ask them for it. I remember reading somewhere that big breweries keep like a quarter inch height for the false bottom. And another article said about 7-8". So I think I'll stick to maybe say 3" or something to average out. Thanks though! Cheers to you!

Comment

Working...
            X