Calcium Chloride addition timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium Chloride addition timing

I had been adding Calcium Chloride to our IPA mash to lower PH (and I thought to increase perceived bitterness). Recently, I forgot to add it. The beer does not taste as "bright" , the hop character is just not the same, but it's still plenty bitter. Is anyone else using Calcium Chloride in IPAs to get more out of the hops? Wondering if it's really the Calcium Chloride that's critical to our beer or I could be tasting something else that's gone wrong.

Also, if I had remembered later in the brew day, would it be possible to add Calcium Chloride to the boil and get the same water effect?

thanks
    Scott Swygert
    Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

We ad CaCl 2 to the mash to lower Ph a touch and to the boil to lower the perception of hop bitterness. Ad calcium sulphate (gypsum) if your looking to accentuate bitterness.... it also lowers Ph.

Comment

Calcium Chloride for hop bitterness

Originally posted by Sauce View Post
      We ad CaCl 2 to the mash to lower Ph a touch and to the boil to lower the perception of hop bitterness. Ad calcium sulphate (gypsum) if your looking to accentuate bitterness.... it also lowers Ph.
      Sauce, thanks for that. My cacl2 additions may have been why my brews seemed less bitter than the IBU total from my software.
      Scott Swygert
      Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

Comment

A lower pH is often associated with a brighter, more crisp finish, so that alone may be the reason for the perceived effect. We use lactic acid to manipulate the pH further if our salt additions don't bring us in to range.

Comment

Working...
        X