Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken / Unwanted PKA kegs - What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken / Unwanted PKA kegs - What to do?

Similar questions have been asked before, but I'm wondering if any good solutions have been discovered lately...

We have several pallets of unwanted plastic PKA kegs (some broken, some functional).

Does anyone know how to recycle or otherwise dispose of them? Can't find a recycling facility that will take them, and I'm not sure how much use they would be to homebrewers since they're plastic. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Anne

Logistics
    Drake's Brewing Company
    San Leandro, CA

Any luck disposing of your old PKA kegs?

Hi Anne,

We've got quite a collection of old PKAs as well just down here in San Ramon, and are struggling with the same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

-Ian
    Schubros Brewery
    (925) 786-2232

Comment

They might make a good planter or rain barrel.....

Comment

We just called a local recycling company to take all our PKA kegs. The only catch was we had to de-spear all the kegs... As you can see from this picture, it wasn't a fun time and took 3-4 guys 2 whole days to get it done.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6394.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	190763
        Nate Jackson
        Packaging Manager
        Marble Brewery
        Albuquerque, NM

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

At this point, we're thinking we'll use some for planters, and sell some online (possibly Craigslist).

For the broken ones, we might go with Nate's suggestion and try to de-spear them and recycle them. We'll have to see what our local recycling company says.

Comment

Couple years ago a local brewery posted them on craigslist for free first come first served to homebrewers(a mention of their drawbacks was given at the time of pick up, i know because i was one of those picking up my intention was to clean and use as a sour beer FV with a spuding valve but never got around to it so I gave them away to another home brewer.

Comment

Trade them in

Hey folks,

We offer a credit on a 1 for 1 lease of stainless kegs. We can either apply the credit in the form of a deposit or toward several months' rent. Happy to take them off your hands!

Robert
              risrael@atlaskegs.com
              205-913-1093
              Keg Logistics
              Birmingham, AL office
              Tel: (205) 913-1093
              RIsrael@keglogistics.com

Comment

Working...
              X