Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Your Beer

Hi,

I am about to open a microbrewery in Galway, the west of Ireland, and have set up a site to allow the public to name the beer. Anyway, anybody who visits the site will see that it is a bit wacky/cheesy (deliberately so). I guess that I'm interested to know people's opinion about going down this route for a craft beer. Is it better to have a (1) wacky or (2) serious name? Evidence in the US and UK would suggest that wacky is good?

Thanks

Aidan

Unlock the best-kept secret in Midtown Manhattan with our event space rental, offering a unique blend of sophistication and Irish hospitality. Elevate your gatherings with a touch of charm and character in a venue that seamlessly combines modern elegance with the warmth of Ireland.
    wacky
    53.13%
    serious
    46.88%

Whacky or serious?

I tend to chart a course in the middle. Somewhere around the vacinity of clever or whimsical. Not quite whack, but surely not button-down.
    I won't be voting in the poll. There's no middle choice and I can't vote twice (once each). Good luck!

Steffan
    Aldergrove Brewery
    Tulalip WA USA

Comment

Same here on the middle path...overly wacky names are tiresome after the first week, but it needs to be interesting too I think. Pick something, live with it for a while and see how it feels.

Comment

Cool idea...

I tend to agree with both of the previous posts, somewhere that's entertaining or interesting, but not off the wall or boring. That being said, I'd research your market and the existing brands. If there are 4 or 5 wacky brands out there you'd have to be extremely wacky to get noticed, but a classic or artistic label might get noticed easier.

Maybe I'll submit an idea, does your first prize include trans Atlantic airfare? I could visit family while there!

Good Luck,
        Ray
        Ray Sherwood
        Sherwood Brewing Company
        Shelby Township, MI
        f.586.532.9337

Comment

I think it all depends on how and who to you sell your product, do you want to look serious or fun thats the question, Im for fun, but I think serious can go a long way with certain people... like bankers...
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I guess that it's tricky to find the balance between being niche and going too far and alienating your audience. But whether we like it or not, branding is important.

Cheers

Aidan

Comment

And without being over-the-top with it, adding some geographical or demographical feature to a beer name is a way to endear it to the locals. For example, I live in corn growing country, and being a city boy, knew nothing about farm implements...as my wife and I were driving about, I pointed agast at some green-painted monstrousity in a corn field.
              "What on earth is that, honey?"
              "It's a combine with a corn head."
              "A corn head?"
              "Yes, a corn head."

Thus was born "Corn Head Cream Ale" featuring 15% flaked corn in the grist I find the beer naming part almost as exciting as the creation of the beers!

Rob
              Last edited by RobZamites; 03-14-2006, 07:35 AM. Reason: I can't spell
              "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

the answer is...it depends. Sam at Dogfish head could sell you pee in a bottle (if it was good), but I've seen people have trouble selling Helles too.

How effective your marketing is is waaaayyy more important than the name. Branding, and living up to the brand promise is also more important.
                Larry Horwitz

Comment

Working...
                X