Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple Bourbon Barrel Maintenance & Sanitizing Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Bourbon Barrel Maintenance & Sanitizing Question?

Has anyone had any experience working with Maple Bourbon Barrels. I just sourced a bunch of Maple Bourbon barrels. I'm not sure how to attack these barrels regarding maintenance & sanitation. Usually, I just treat my oak barrels with 160 degree water. And they almost always get a mixed culture. I want to keep these "clean" and not waste any of the maple character. I don't have steam as an option. The place I got them, told me to keep them in my walk-in cooler until I fill them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Brad Primozic
    Owner/Brewer
    Insurrection AleWorks
    Heidelberg, PA

Maple?

I'm fairly certain that to be called Bourbon, the casks must be charred oak. Maple doesn't make sense.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
      I'm fairly certain that to be called Bourbon, the casks must be charred oak. Maple doesn't make sense.
      This thread wasn't a topic about semantics. It was a question about sanitation. But to answer your point. The barrels are Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels that were emptied, then filled with maple syrup for 8 months and just emptied of syrup. Bourbon barrel aged syrup is a common practice in the northeast and the spent barrels are nice for dark, malty beers.
      Brad Primozic
      Owner/Brewer
      Insurrection AleWorks
      Heidelberg, PA

Comment

Do not have experience with maple bourban barrels but we have a maple bourbon RIS in barrels.

Maybe rinse with hot water once to knock the maple out (unless you want crazy fermentation)? We added our maple at flameout if you want the maple flavor.

And then you could dump a bottle of that bourbon back into it and roll it around for a few days/weeks to get your flavor back. Use the maple thats made from aging?

Otherwise I would just be worried about all that fermentable in the barrel with (most likely) some brett and whatever else would love to munch it in your barrel aged beer.

Either way, fill them soon!

Comment

Working...
        X