Yeast Flocculation Issues in a Hefe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Flocculation Issues in a Hefe

So I am having problems with the flocculation of Wb-06 yeast of late. Looks milky/cloudy even after crashing it for 4-5 days . Checked all variables nothing seems to be working . What are the reasons for this issue . Mash temp is fine around 65-66c. Can pH and increased salts cause low flocculation? Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by mrbeerin View Post
    So I am having problems with the flocculation of Wb-06 yeast of late. Looks milky/cloudy even after crashing it for 4-5 days . Checked all variables nothing seems to be working . What are the reasons for this issue . Mash temp is fine around 65-66c. Can pH and increased salts cause low flocculation? Thanks !

I've been having that problem for quite some time now with WB06 (since packaging changed)...used to get to acceptable haze in 3 weeks, now still milky 4+ weeks in and crawling out of bright, have had to modify tanks to cope.

Anyone else? We're now going to try t58 to see if we can get same sort of profile with better floc. Any tips on that yeast appreciated.

But it's a wheat beer...yeah, thanks, we ain't in Munich.

Cheers,
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Comment

this is the Weihenstephan. It is a top cropping yeast with low flocculation. I use it in a liquid form and get maybe 5 gal of yeast that flocs out during crashing it down.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
        this is the Weihenstephan. It is a top cropping yeast with low flocculation. I use it in a liquid form and get maybe 5 gal of yeast that flocs out during crashing it down.
        I disagree, I used the WLP300 for years and switched to this...not the same, not a top cropper.
        Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
        Chairman of the Beer
        Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
        Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
        W: www.lovibonds.com
        F: LovibondsBrewery
        T: @Lovibonds

Comment

How many generations have you taken this yeast? It is not designed to floc very well as you know. It is not a yeast that will last many generations due to that.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrbeerin View Post

Same issue here! Good thing our Wit is called White Fog cause it really is White Fog. We tried using very little biofine but it cleared the hell out of it, so that was a mistake. Haven't tried anything else since. We noticed that it does clear up pretty quickly in the bottle.
            Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
            www.CasselBrewery.ca
            Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
              How many generations have you taken this yeast? It is not designed to floc very well as you know. It is not a yeast that will last many generations due to that.
              Havent gone past 2 generations . Even though in the past we've gone upto 5 gen without any issues . Changed the salts to check if it helps flocculation.

Comment

Originally posted by CasselBrewery View Post
                Same issue here! Good thing our Wit is called White Fog cause it really is White Fog. We tried using very little biofine but it cleared the hell out of it, so that was a mistake. Haven't tried anything else since. We noticed that it does clear up pretty quickly in the bottle.
                Haha i know what you mean . It does clear faster in the keg . But the cloudiness affects the time taken to flocculate which directly affects our schedule. Need to figure a way out of this . Im not sure if its the new yeast itself .

Comment

Wow glad i found this thread i thought i was going crazy, same issue with me using this the first time. It ended up clearing a touch after it sat kegged for a while but it never quite got out of that milky white color.
                  Bog Water Brewing Co. est 2012 revived 2013

Comment

Calcium deficiency

Originally posted by BogWater View Post
                    Wow glad i found this thread i thought i was going crazy, same issue with me using this the first time. It ended up clearing a touch after it sat kegged for a while but it never quite got out of that milky white color.

Could be do to calcium deficiency.
                    Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X