PRV problem on bright tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRV problem on bright tank

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my VPRV on my bright tank. It is constantly letting pressure out when I start carbonating. Sometimes I can either screw it in or out and eventually get it to stop, but as of right now I have an Imperial IPA in there and it's definitely letting pressure out. It says it's set to 0.35 mpa and I definitely have the carb stone set to less than that. I cannot get it to stop. Additionally, when I'm CIPing the liquid comes out through the PRV. Very strange. It appears to be adjustable as well, but what exactly am I adjusting by screwing it in and out? It appears to be set to 0.35 mpa and that's it, so I'm not sure what I'm adjusting. I'm about to switch the PRV with one of my fermenter PRV's so I can get this batch kegged tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas or a similar problem?

What brand of P/VR is it? Most are easily rebuildable, often just a few o-rings to fix.

Opening up the valve will probably show the problem, which might just be a tiny bit of something stuck in the valve. We disassemble and clean ours every time we clean the tank.

On adjustable valves, more properly referred to as "Pressure Control Valves", you're adjusting the spring counter-pressure against the pressure valve. These should be used for pressure control during fermentation, and should be backed up with a non-adjustable Pressure/Vacuum Relief valve, such as a Definox. Get one that is set to slightly less than the pressure rating of your vessel.

Never attempt to adjust or alter the Vacuum relief part of the valve or you may get to see what a tank collapse looks like. Likewise, adjusting the Pressure Relief beyond the tank's rating could cause a catastrophic failure of the tank--a potentially fatal explosion.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
    X