adding fining to a conditioning tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding fining to a conditioning tank

I'm a new brewer and need to find out how to add finings to a closed conditioning tank. Due to the setup of our systems we are using conical fermenters for both fermenting and conditioning. How do I get the finings into the tank which is under pressure without hurting the beer? thanks!

Adding Finings

If you're transferring the beer from unitank to conditioning tank I would suggest you mix your finings in a small vessel such as a keg, or cornelius keg and add them during your beer transfer. You can use CO2 pressure to push the finings out of the keg and dose them into the beer stream while transferring. You just need some misc. fittings like a Tee, butterfly valves, small jumper hose from the keg and a sight glass. I wouldn't recommend adding the finings up through the sprayball as you won't get much fining action accomplished. Of course make sure all components of the transfer system are clean and sanitized.
    Mike Jordan
    Brewmaster
    Boxing Cat Brewery
    Shanghai, P.R. China
    michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

unfortunately the brewery I purchased does not have conditioning tanks. I could do a transfer from one fermenter to another to add the finings if I had to but would prefer not to move the beer from fermenter to fermenter if I don't have to. Sounds like it might be my only option. Thanks!

Comment

Use a corny keg and add them through the zwickle (sample) valve while lightly rousing with CO2 from the bottom.

Comment

Adding the finings through the zwickle may be your best bet while gently rousting with CO2. If you've purged all the yeast off the bottom of the FV you could also recirculate the beer from the bottom outlet and add back through the racking arm. You would want to move the product at a slow speed and dose the finings as mentioned before. I've found that transferring the beer works best, even from FV to FV. I guess the real question is why do you feel you need to add finings? In my experience certain finings tend to kill the head retention on my beers, even when used according to the recommended usage rates. With the appropriate timeframe and temperature drops you should be able to get a fairly clear beer after 2-3 weeks, especially if yeast in continually pulled of the bottom of the FV.
          Mike Jordan
          Brewmaster
          Boxing Cat Brewery
          Shanghai, P.R. China

Comment

The beer I'm really worried about is a German Helles that needs to be as crystal clear as possible. We will certainly be giving the beer serious lagering time. Hopefully finings will not be necessary but I'm trying to prepare in case it is needed.

Comment

Depending on the yeast strain you used and the time you have to leave this lagering you could just leave it and blow it down. But if you used a yeast that does not floc well then I would go with the fining route and save yourself some time in the end.

Comment

Well said brewmonkey!....You should be OK without finings since it will be lagered, but should you have to use finings allow the adequate time for the finings to work. Best of luck!
                Mike Jordan
                Brewmaster
                Boxing Cat Brewery
                Shanghai, P.R. China

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Comment

Working...
                  X