Steineker Variomill wet milling process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steineker Variomill wet milling process

Greetings, I currently operate a 90 bbl brewhouse that utilizes a Steineker Variomill. My question is in regards to the appropriate settings for this mill. I realize every brewhouse is different, but any guidance would be appreciated.

First some figures:
    Water/grist ratio: 1.07 bbls/100 lbs (1.38 qts/lbs)
    Mill rollers: 0.44mm
    Steeping chamber flow rate: 17 bbls/hr
    Steeping chamber water temp: 120-144 degs
    Steeping chamber filled: 75%
    Mashing chamber flow rate: 70 bbls/hr

We seem to be getting pulverized grain in the mash-kettle. We think the grain might not be hydrating well enough before the rollers, but that's a guess. We have been experimenting with temperatures between 120 and 144 degrees and letting the chamber sit at 75% full to give ample hydrating time. We experimented with our rollers anywhere from 0.40mm and 0.50mm. The Kunze says 0.45mm I believe.

Any thoughts? Should I be looking elsewhere? We also considered the mash pump is shredding it during transfer or the agitator is doing the same, but again these are guesses. Any thoughts?

I can't speak from personal experience unfortunately, but comparing your figures with those of Steinecker's figures, it appears your temperature is a little low. Steinecker reckon on 65 C (149 F), and then split the water into two - steeping at 0.4 - 0.8 hl / 100 kg, and then further mashing water of 2.2 hl / 100 kg (at 62 C) of dry grist. Another document I have says for wet milling - total steep time approx. 30 minutes. One large brewery I worked at briefly used to mash about ten tonnes in 40 minutes using Steinecker wet mills, with 0.3 mm gaps. As you say, Steinecker set their gaps at 0.45 on initial commissioning, but might go down to 0.35 mm.

I would look at your steep water temperature first as this can make a big difference.
    dick

Comment

Steinecker Variomill V25 Mill Gap

Don't know your Steinecker Variomill Model, however for the V25, which has 2 sets of rollers they recommend for the upper pair of rollers a distance of 1.2 mm and for the lower pair of rollers 0.55 mm.
      Last edited by Fausto Yu-Shan; 09-02-2015, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X