Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold bot vs commercial compressor

Building a smallish 300 sqft coldroom.

I am considering a coldbot, but am curious about how energy efficient it would be relative to a commercial compressor. Also i have longevity concerns for the associated aircon.

My question is two part, does anyone have information related to the above two concerns?

Also regarding long lasting well maid commercial compressors what are the companies that probrewers prefer? I know from having fridges that not all compressors are created equal ....

Best
    Todd

I have a 100 sqft cold room for serving that has been running on a $15 Goodwill A/C unit for about 2 years. Instead of a cool bot, I've got a Johnson A419 hooked up to a couple of $5 ceramic resistors which heat the AC unit temp probe and kick it on when it gets above serving temp. So I went as cheap as cheap can get and it's been fine for 2 years (knock on wood).

Comment

coo

Originally posted by populuxe View Post
      I have a 100 sqft cold room for serving that has been running on a $15 Goodwill A/C unit for about 2 years. Instead of a cool bot, I've got a Johnson A419 hooked up to a couple of $5 ceramic resistors which heat the AC unit temp probe and kick it on when it gets above serving temp. So I went as cheap as cheap can get and it's been fine for 2 years (knock on wood).

what temperature are you holding it at?

does the johnston have wiring for 2 sensors? as i get it you have to monitor the temp of fins and temp of room... or no?

Comment

You can also run a piped fan unit in the cold room off your glycol system. We do. Works great, no second AC unit to suck power, break down, make noise, take up space...
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We are running two 10,000 BTU air conditioners running our ~180 sq ft cooler. Instead of a coolbot we wired in our Ranco digital temp controllers directly into the compressor's power supply. This way the air conditioner still powers it's fans constantly but the Ranco controls when the compressor turns on. Only need one temp probe on the Ranco and we stuck it near the fins. Running a constant 40 degrees in the cooler.

Comment

Working...
          X