Beer Lose Cabonation from Temp Rise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Lose Cabonation from Temp Rise?

I don't know why I can't wrap my head around this.. basically we lost our chiller for a few days and our unitanks that had beer already carbed and ready to keg went from 33 to 67 degrees for a couple of days. Temp has been back down for a couple of days now back to 33 but psi isn't back up yet..

Since the psi gauge dropped we thought it bet for the beer to equalize with c02 back on and at 33 until we get 9 psi. We go by time and taste and have no way of measuring actual C02 volume.

So basically the beer couldn't have lost what carbonation it had by a temp rise for a couple of days correct? We just need to make sure it equalizes again (9psi @ 33) before we keg?

EDIT: Just found out one of the cellar guys dumped the c02 from the FV when he realized it was at 15psi instead of the 9psi it was at when it was at 33.

Thanks
    Jake
    Last edited by jakecpunut; 09-22-2015, 09:31 AM.

Originally posted by jakecpunut View Post
    I don't know why I can't wrap my head around this.. basically we lost our chiller for a few days and our unitanks that had beer already carbed and ready to keg went from 33 to 67 degrees for a couple of days. Temp has been back down for a couple of days now back to 33 but psi isn't back up yet..

Since the psi gauge dropped we thought it bet for the beer to equalize with c02 back on and at 33 until we get 9 psi. We go by time and taste and have no way of measuring actual C02 volume.

So basically the beer couldn't have lost what carbonation it had by a temp rise for a couple of days correct? We just need to make sure it equalizes again (9psi @ 33) before we keg?

EDIT: Just found out one of the cellar guys dumped the c02 from the FV when he realized it was at 15psi instead of the 9psi it was at when it was at 33.

Thanks
    Jake
    If you don't have tanks rated for 2+ bar of pressure, then likely you did lose some carbonation. 33F @ 9psi is about 2.5 volumes of carbonation, to keep that same carbonation at 67F, you need in excess of 20+ PSI. I am guessing you have 15 PSI PRVs on these tanks and everything in excess would vent off. Over the course of a couple days, you probably didn't lose a ton, but probably enough to be noticeable. I would run the carb stone again and get back to where you normally are... perception wise anyhow.

Comment

So, your cellar guy forgot that in a sealed container there is a constant temperature pressure relationship. Lesson Learned.....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M View Post
        So, your cellar guy forgot that in a sealed container there is a constant temperature pressure relationship. Lesson Learned.....
        Should have said "business guy" that made a "celler guy" call :-) definitely!

Comment

Working...
        X