No announcement yet.

good refractometers -- analog? digital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good refractometers -- analog? digital?

I’ve been using a cheap analog refractometer to monitor run off. I use a hydrometer for pre/post boil OG. The refractometer is getting harder to keep in calibration and the readings drifting to the point I need to get another. Down the rabbit hole I go. Researching has led to an array of options – digital handheld, density meters, analog handhelds -- all ranging from ~$100 to ~ more-than-I-can-justify-spending. Questions:
    1. Anyone using a digital handheld such as this from Milwaukee or this from Hanna?They are in the $100-$160 range.
    2. The Atago PAL-1 (brix) model for $305? If I was going to spend $305, then why wouldn’t I spend $360 for their PAL-Plato model? Stupid question alert.
    3. Then there’s the edrometer digital hydrometer for $395.
    4. Finally, the MISCO beer refractometer specifically engineered for wort for $445. Saw this at the CBC. Anyone using this?

Thanks!
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Misco!

Barleyfreak-
    I used analog refracs and every brewer would see different readings. Switched to the Atago digital, their scale is based off Sucrose so our readings were off compared to lab results and Hydrometers. Plus it takes forever to auto calibrate for temp.The rep at CBC said in order to get a accurate reading is run the test 3X and take a average! Got the Misco after CBC this year which is calibrated to Maltose and love it! Our readings are spot on with lab results. Well worth the $$$$ and built like a tank in the USA.

Comment

Working...
    X