Split vs. single packaged chiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split vs. single packaged chiller

I am about to put money down on a glycol chiller for our 7 bbl brewery-in-planning, and am torn between two options. On the one hand, I have a quote for a 5 ton split unit with PVC glycol lines that includes insulation, commissioning, and most likely a good service backup, but both the chiller and the labor are pricey. On the other hand, I have a quote on a single packaged chiller with a stainless (!) glycol header from a company who are giving me a much better deal on both equipment and install, but won't insulate or set up the system for me, and most likely won't provide maintenance service. I am also pretty sure I don't want PVC lines, so the copper will add even more to the already high first quote. I am stuck; I am going to end up paying $10k-$13k more for the split unit, but I have a gut feeling that the service will be worth it... at the same time, I can buy another tank if I try to save on the chiller. Currently I have 2 x 7 bbl unis and have one 7 bbl bright on the way. So here are my questions:

-Is there any advantage to having a split chiller other than not having to go outside to maintenance it?

-Do I really need the company to dial in my system, or is that something I can do fairly easily myself?

-Stainless vs. copper... which has the best value?

Cheers!
    Charlie Magne Melhus
    Co-founder/Head Brewer
    Norway Brewing Company
Working...
X