Air compressor for keg cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor for keg cleaning

I found a few threads on here about it, and the recommendation is of course oilless. I was curious if anyone has experience using an oil filter on an oiled compressor instead. Something like this, or like this.

Then I could either use my existing compressor with a surge tank, or upgrade to something like this.

No, the recommendation is absolutely not oil-less! In fact, our keg washer and bottler instructions specifically say not to use one. Dave Meheen, who makes bottling lines and posts here, agrees.

Oil-less compressors are very short lived toys--something you can get at HD with a nailgun for ~$200--unless you're looking at medical grade, and the bucks get big fast. I've used the cheapo ones on construction sites and they don't last at all--the open bottom of the cylinder attracts dust, which rapidly destroys the cylinders/rings.

A rotary-vane comp with oil separator, filter, air dryer, pre-filter, and micro-filter--in that order--is the best way to go. One or more of these components may be included in the package of the compressor.

A surge tank works very well if your compressor/delivery lines can't supply the flow. Feed the tank at line pressure (check all pressure ratings), then use a high-flow regulator to your keg washer.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Use oil!

Those who demand oil-less are just not thinking this through. Air compressors for breathing air and other critical applications are almost always oil compressors. With proper filtration you can use almost any compressor that fits the specification of your keg cleaner. Best of luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We were about to pick up this for a two head semi auto washer http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ingersoll-R...S5L5/202889756

Is this something similar to what others use and like? We need it to have a long service life... But no experience with compressors to know if oil or oilless is the way to go

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Comment

Rotary vane with a dryer is the Cadillac standard, but it's expensive and unless you're hitting several thousand barrels, running a keg washer and bottling line, it's overkill. If like TGTimm there you have a larger outfit like that it makes much more sense and makes us all jealous...

Oil-free is expensive and will kill itself more quickly. And they're LOUD.

The compromise is one like that unit there. 5hp 60 gallon will get the job done, our previous 3hp 60 did not. Put oil, water, and if you're feelin' fancy, odor adsorption filters in line before a secondary regulator before the hose to your keg washer. You can get models mounted with an aftercooler which will help dry it (Note: it's NOT a dryer, more of an air-cooled radiator that condenses some of the water into the main tank.) I would suggest an 80 gallon if you can swing it, or if you're resourceful look into building a surge tank of some kind. Run at least 1/2" lines and hose, with larger QD fittings to match. The aluminum air compressor piping kits are pretty kickass, super easy to do.

There's a whole big air compressor thread on here somewhere from when we upgraded ours last year.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

When you say oil free will die more quickly, how much more quickly are we talking about?

Comment

Oil free compressors that you see at the home stores don't have the duty cycle of something like a oiled piston compressors. They really are only meant for the home hobbyist. Trust us, it will blow up quickly. Something similar to the unit listed above will be good. We run a 5hp 2 stage 60 gallon compressor with a 2 head premier keg washer and also a mobile canner, it keeps up just fine. I think it is rated at 80% duty cycle, and probably typically runs 50% while keg cleaning.

Comment

Okay, well that's what I was hoping to hear. Always heard good things about Ingersoll Rand. I think that's what we're going with, fingers crossed. And luckily we have a spot for it away from ear shot that's also nice and dry

Comment

I'd recommend getting 2 stage (higher tank psi = higher cfm) and like the other guy mentioned make sure you put a water trap, oil coalescence filter, and secondary regulator on. Most of these compressors are all the same ( IR, campbell, speedair, etc). Make sure you have ability to source parts, we just had our motor go out after 3 years. Sucked but were able to get another motor on it for a few hundred.

Comment

Russel is correct--the rotary-vane compressor is a Cadillac unit--we love ours, but we got by just fine for many years with a 5 hp, 80 gal, 2-stage reciprocating unit, which is now our back-up. Maintenance is the main difference between the two. Rotary-vanes require much less attention--and are much, much quieter.

5 hp with 60 gal of storage should work fine in most applications. If the comp is running 50% or more, add storage before the primary regulator. Used compressor tanks in good condition are pretty cheap--especially if they came from a defunct oil-less comp (what we used to refer to as an air-less comp on the job site).

As someone above mentioned, availability of parts is critical, more so than just the brand. Belt-driven, rather than direct-coupled, units are much easier to find a replacement motor for--any motor of the correct hp, phase, and voltage that fits the mount (or can be made to do so) and the pulley will work. With regular maintenance--mostly oil and filter changes--you shouldn't have to replace anything else in your lifetime (or that of your brewery). Our DeViBliss 2-stage recip is about 40 years old, and still going strong--and parts can still be found with relative ease.

If more air at the point of use is needed, but the comp isn't running excessively, use a point-of-use storage or surge tank--this time, it'll be at your line pressure (usually 100-125 psi), then reduced with a regulator at the tank outlet to your 30-40 psi for keg cleaning.

Higher pressure in the primary storage tank provides more air between comp cycles--not higher cfm. You can only get the max output of your comp over any significant time span. Fortunately, keg washers, bottlers/canners, and most other brewery uses are periodic--using a lot air over a short time, allowing the system to recharge in between use cycles. More time between compressor cycles=longer compressor lifespan.

Micro-filters may be of arguable use, but just a few critters in your final product... the micro-filters should be at or near the point-of-use.
                    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Air compressors, chillers, boilers - these three things will either be your best friends or your worst nightmares. Spend the money here on good reliable equipment. With air compressors, surge tanks near the points of most use will save a lot of wear and tear on your compressor, and will also eliminate a lot of variables related to air pressure with your packaging equipment.
                      Linus Hall
                      Yazoo Brewing
                      Nashville, TN
                      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Global Stainless Systems Keg Cleaner Compressor

I have a Global Stainless Systems single keg cleaner. I need help on what compressor to use. The compressor will be used to purge the kegs as well as drive the keg cleaner pneumatics. I believe I can get by with a 15-18 CFM 80 gallon compressor. Do I need an air dryer? What about filters? Besides an oil filter, what would you recommend? ANY help on this is greatly appreciated!

Comment

CSArnold3,
                          We do not dry our air, for our Premier Stainless two-head semi-auto.
                          We have one oil filter, one water filter/catch, before the machine. The keg washer also has a water filter/catch, built in.
                          We run a 5HP / 80 Gallon Gardner Denver compressor.

Matt G.
                          Salmon River Brewery

Comment

Global Stainless Systems Keg Cleaner Compressor

Originally posted by SRB View Post
                            CSArnold3,
                            We do not dry our air, for our Premier Stainless two-head semi-auto.
                            We have one oil filter, one water filter/catch, before the machine. The keg washer also has a water filter/catch, built in.
                            We run a 5HP / 80 Gallon Gardner Denver compressor.

Matt G.
                            Salmon River Brewery
                            Matt,
                            Thanks! Does your air compressor drive your pneumatics on the cleaner? I believe this is the only reason we have heard we need a dryer - to keep the pneumatics that operate the pistons on the cleaner dry. Thoughts? What brand compressor / filters do you use?

Comment

looking for suggestions

Hi All!
                              I know this thread is old, but I haven't seen any more recent posts about air compressors and keg washers...hoping you all can help! We just bought a Keg Commander from ABE, and are going to use a Puma two stage 5HP 80Gal air compressor. I am looking for help/suggestions in what oil filters have been used in the past? Did you also get a refrigerated dryer? Trying to stick to a budget (which is looking to be more and more difficult everyday) but also don't want to contaminate our product! any help/feedback/product links would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!!

Comment

Working...
                              X