Trench Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trench Drain

I've seen countless posts on here about Trench Drains, but the same drains that are highly suggested in one thread, seem to be hated a couple years later in another thread. As a standard startup I'm trying to watch my funds very closely so I can't just coat the floor in solid gold and diamonds, but I also don't need the headache of replacing this in a few years. I have the luxury of a brand new floor pouring, so throw some good ideas at me.

Rather than just ask for your suggestions, what has worked for you so far? What hasn't?

Currently looking into:
    Watts Dead Level D
    Zurn Z812 - Zurn Z883
    ABT PolyPro

Currently Avoiding:
    NDS Duraslope

Plastic drains will warp. They will pull away from the cement. the smell of the soil underneath will come through. If I had it to do over I would have used metal drains.
    David

Comment

Originally posted by panadero View Post
      Plastic drains will warp. They will pull away from the cement. the smell of the soil underneath will come through. If I had it to do over I would have used metal drains.
      David
      From my understandings I'm relatively sure Polypropylene, HDPE, and in Zurns case even Fiberglass reinforced tend to be the industry standard as they are non-reacting with the chemicals involved. If it's pulling away it could be the drains fault, but it could also be improper installation (anchoring) or going outside the heat/chemical standards for the drain. But again, it's why I'm asking the question

Comment

I think the drain is not reactive to the chemicals, but there is always hot liquid of some sort, and it will end up in the drain, no matter what it is rated for. I think this was the factor in both places I have worked with plastic drains. warping of the plastic pulls it away from the cement - possible poor installation as well, both were startups trying to save every penny. Not saying dont do it, but I think a metal drain properly rinsed with water will work better in the long run.

Cheers, David

Comment

Drain

If at all possible use Stainless and install traps for catching solids. If your budget restricts SS choose a material that is heat (boiling) and chemical tolerant tolerant. Otherwise as mentioned, your drain gutter will crack and all kinds of microbes will build up and stink etc.
          Spend the money on the floor and drains. Its worth it down the road.
          Cheers
          David Meadows
          President
          Technobrew
          David Meadows
          Brew House Technologist
          TECHNOBREW
          (619)840-3311
          david@technobrew.com

Comment

While I haven't used the product yet since I too am in construction mode for my brewery, I definitely want to go with stainless drain bodies.

I just found this V-bottom drain from stainlessdrains.com that is comparable to the Zurn Z890 profile, but is actually thicker 14 gauge 304 stainless (vs. 16 gauge for the Zurn) with a 10 gauge grate for only $158 per foot, grate included. Built to size you need, I'm ordering a couple (10' and 8') for the two drains in the small brewery we are building in San Francisco.

V-bottom trench drains can be customized at Stainless Drains for applications that require improved hydraulic flow. Request a quote today at Stainless Drains.

Kevin

Comment

Drains and Floors to drains

Email me and I can send you in the right direction. I have 3 contacts I can forward all the info to you and you can get a quote from all 3 CHEERS!!!

Chris Klein 541-510-1080
              chris@cascadefloors.com
              Chris Klein
              Cell 541-510-1080
              Office (503) 769-6823
              WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
              chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

I have put the ABT poly drains in at least five different installations and I like them. They are durable, don't crack, have cast iron grills for forklift traffic, and are easy to install. Just make sure to get them up off the ground in pads of poured concrete, with reinforcing wire going under and around them, so that when you pour the floor the concrete encases the drain.
                Linus Hall
                Yazoo Brewing
                Nashville, TN
                www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Aco NW100 has worked really well for us, and is relatively inexpensive. They're a pre-fabricated 3 meter polyester polymer concrete channel system. Each section of the drain is pre-sloped, chemical resistant, pretty much untouchable from heat, and pretty easy to put together. We paid $155 for each channel with load-bearing poly grates. I highly recommend them --

Comment

Aco NW100 drains

Originally posted by kyle.carbaugh View Post
                    Aco NW100 has worked really well for us, and is relatively inexpensive. They're a pre-fabricated 3 meter polyester polymer concrete channel system. Each section of the drain is pre-sloped, chemical resistant, pretty much untouchable from heat, and pretty easy to put together. We paid $155 for each channel with load-bearing poly grates. I highly recommend them --
                    Hey Kyle, did you buy direct from Aco or did you go through a distributor? Would you mind sharing (via PM) your contacts?

Cheers,

Brian Whitley, Head Brewer
                    Piedmont Brewery& Kitchen
                    Macon, GA

Comment

Drain material is only part of the equation. If the rest of your drainage piping is plumbed with plastic downstream (pretty common in newer construction) going with SS drains isn't a silver bullet.
                      Kevin Shertz
                      Chester River Brewing Company
                      Chestertown, MD

Comment

Pot drains can save money in the short run as they are typically inexpensive but require the floor to be sloped in several directions to each individual drain. With constant pitch changes in the floor grade this can wreck havoc on equipment as it leans and can create work related injuries from performing tasks on uneven surfaces. If you have ever had to squeegee liquids over a long stretch to angle towards a distant floor drain you will come to the conclusion that pot drains are not the solution for this industry.

The alternative solution is for a linear trench drain solution. Trench drains are sold as both Grated drains and slot Drains. Grated drains typically cover a 6 or 12” trench cut into the floor. Trench drains provide an advantage to multiple floor sloping as the floor slopes to one continuous vantage point in your environment. A graded drain allows you to see inside the drain and spot any materials that may have found their way into the drain. Careful consideration must be made again for the long run as cleaning routines will require the grates to be removed and regularly cleaned. Removing grates can be dangerous if they are made from heavier materials which create pinch hazards.

Blog Post: What do you need to consider before installing a trench drain?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slot-drain-used-in-forklift-traffic-facility.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	190988
                        Slot Drain® is a one-piece, built-in sloped, open floor drain/surface drain system

info@slotdrainsystems.com
                        https://www.slotdrainsystems.com/breweries
                        (855) 497-7508

Comment

Working...
                        X