Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for recommendations on a nano system

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to start doing recipe testing for a new brewery and I'm interested in a quality pilot system to get things rolling. What should I be looking for? What have your experiences been? We're looking to get a 7bbl system for the brewhouse, but would love a 1-3bbl pilot system for small batch and testing purposes.

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to start doing recipe testing for a new brewery and I'm interested in a quality pilot system to get things rolling. What should I be looking for? What have your experiences been? We're looking to get a 7bbl system for the brewhouse, but would love a 1-3bbl pilot system for small batch and testing purposes.
    I've heard nothing but good things about a Sabco system (which is a 10 or 15 gallon capacity, I think) for that purpose. Good luck!
    Kevin Shertz
    Chester River Brewing Company
    Chestertown, MD

Comment

I am currently using a BrewSculpture from MoreBeer and really liking it. It's been great since day one, no issues and I've been able to create some great beers on it. They stopped making my exact model, but here is the closest thing http://www.morebeer.com/products/rid...lpture-v4.html Their customer service has been amazing as well, I would highly recommend them.

Comment

I just received a quote from Systech Systems http://systechstainless.com/, they are made in the USA, and prices are better than Stout, I would check them out, 95% that is who we are going to go with for our 3 BBL electric system. Cheers.

Comment

These guys are good http://www.rubystreetbrewing.com/tp6....asp?ID=299440 if you are looking for a 1bbl pilot you may want to give them a look

Comment

shoestring budgets?

we are a 1.5bbl nano that is soon to be upgrading to 7bbl, keeping the 1.5 for pilot system.
            our 1.5 is a complete franken system. total cost, including the electric control panel and wiring and march pumps, was around $3500
            makes some pretty great beer that has garnered us a nice little reputation

Comment

Originally posted by ChesterBrew View Post
              I've heard nothing but good things about a Sabco system (which is a 10 or 15 gallon capacity, I think) for that purpose. Good luck!
              We use the sabco brewmagic and it works great. We actually use this for our brewsystem atm until our new equipment arrives. Can't say anything bad about it. plus their customer service is great. For a pilot system it works great for your actual brew system is it labour intensive and taxing but it has done us well.
              Cheers,

Sean Goddard
              Brewmaster
              Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

Originally posted by wlw33 View Post
                we are a 1.5bbl nano that is soon to be upgrading to 7bbl, keeping the 1.5 for pilot system.
                our 1.5 is a complete franken system. total cost, including the electric control panel and wiring and march pumps, was around $3500
                makes some pretty great beer that has garnered us a nice little reputation
                Would you be willing to elaborate a little on your system? That's a pretty attractive price!

Comment

Originally posted by Hangar18 View Post
                  Would you be willing to elaborate a little on your system? That's a pretty attractive price!
                  We got the panel from electric brew supply. We got the kit and built it ourselves to save quite a bit of dough.

Our brew kettle is a 55 gal SS drum with electric elements we installed, two ball valves and a temp probe.

Mash tun is a "holy shit how did we find this at such a great price" 100+ gallon jacketed SS vessel. We built the false bottom ourselves out of copper piping, sawing slits and drilling holes into the bottom.

HLT is really just a SS tank. It's not hooked up to anything unfortunately, making it tough for double batching.

Kettle - drum for $250
                  elements - 2, 5500 watt, roughly 30-35 apiece. Go with the stainless that electric brew supply now carries, much easier to clean.
                  Ball valves-$50
                  Dryer vent for ventilation-$15
                  all of this was weldless, too.

Mash tun-
                  got lucky and scored it for $500. had to add a pipe and ball valve, $60 tops

HLT-FREE. Luck!

March pumps do the trick-about $130 each.

I would like to wire in the HLT to make for easier double batching, not in the cards for a while as we are expanding to a 7bbl (keeping nano system for pilots and aging beers)

Procedure:
                  We produce about 45 gal into the FV, 50 gallons brewing volume. Fermcap is a must along with proper ventilation.
                  Fill kettle as high as possible, heat liquor up to strike.
                  Pump liquor into MT and mash in.
                  There will be roughly 1/2 of the liquor leftover in the kettle after mashing in. Fill to sparge volume, and heat to 195*. Once temp is reached, we vorlauf and pump liquor into "HLT". Once kettle is empty, begin sparge.
                  We heat sparge liquor to 195 so that once it's transfered into the "HLT" it'll be roughly 180*. The "HLT" is decently insulated and will keep a fairly steady temp over the hour long sparge.

Boil, cool and transfer.
                  In a lot of ways we were lucky to find the equipment we got, but if we can do it I think anyone can.
                  It's not glamorous, but god damn if it doesn't make some really awesome beer, fairly easy to use and super cheap to get up and running!Click image for larger version

Name:	brewhaus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	190883

Comment

Nice! Love to see these DIY systems. Keeping it simple is the best sometimes. Save the money for the big system.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
                    Cheers,

Sean Goddard
                    Brewmaster
                    Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

Working...
                    X