Glycol Hose Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Hose Material

I am upgrading our glycol system and piping. What type of hose/tubing are yall using to run to the FV from the header and back? I have been using braided vinyl with flexible insulation, however if it condensates at all, then it builds up in the insulation and molds. I would like to use an insulated hose to prevent this. Anyone using: http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpose-hose/=101ef18? I do not want to hard pipe our FVs as they are small enough we move them around from time to time.

Thanks.

Nick
    Nick Tanner
    Head Brewer/Founder
    Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
    Cumming, GA
    www.cherrystreetbrewing.com

We use insulated pex tubing for the glycol drops in our brewery. It's my understanding that this is a really common hose material (maybe even the preferred material) for glycol piping in a brewery if you're not going to hard pipe.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

I would be careful with the PEX you mentioned, that particular kind has a low temp rating of 73F. It could become too brittle at glycol temps which are 40-50F colder than that.

Comment

Goodyear/Parker hose

Ive used Goodyear/Parker hose similar to this:

Helped build two breweries with this and worked great in both. Im in NY now and didnt insulate them and they dont sweat enough to worry about. Where you are youll probably need to add some Armacell insulation and make sure it fights tightly all the way to the tank fittings. You want something flexible in a small brewery and this hose is designed for low temps and mild chemicals. About $2 per foot usually. May be other options but it worked for me.

Comment

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5285K132 is the link. I have seen hose used unwrapped that doesn't sweat. That parker hose is quite a bit cheaper...
          Nick Tanner
          Head Brewer/Founder
          Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
          Cumming, GA
          www.cherrystreetbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
            I would be careful with the PEX you mentioned, that particular kind has a low temp rating of 73F. It could become too brittle at glycol temps which are 40-50F colder than that.
            Good call. We actually use Viega 5306 CL5 pex for glycol drops in our brewery. I'm not sure if that hose has a similar low-temp rating as the one I linked to on McMaster-Carr, but it works great for us.

Comment

If you insulate your drops, the insulation must be sealed as nearly air-tight as possible. Use contact cement to close any cuts, and tightly wrapped electrician's tape to close and seal the ends. Don't rely on the self-sealing tape on split pipe insulation--a good contact adhesive is much better. Read and follow the instructions on the adhesive. Wear gloves and old clothes-it gets messy.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Poly Pipe

Has anyone looked into or used this stuff? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...0100/202282494 It says it's 100 psi and has a temp range of -50 to 80. At less than a dollar a foot it's an extremely attractive option, but I don't want all my glycol on the floor. Nobody in my area sells industrial ABS, only the thin wall stuff. Really struggling to find a cost effective solution.

Comment

Working...
                X