Fermentor PRV PSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentor PRV PSI

We just purchased a few fermentors they didn't come with PRV's. I have found several different places to buy them (GW Kent, brewershardware, etc...) however I note that they can be purchased in 15 psi and 30 psi. How do I know which I should be purchasing? Our FV have a max pressure of 36 psi (.25 Mpa) and a working pressure of 21 psi (.15Mpa).

Sorry for what may be pretty basic question!

Thanks!

Originally posted by tdornblaser View Post
    We just purchased a few fermentors they didn't come with PRV's. I have found several different places to buy them (GW Kent, brewershardware, etc...) however I note that they can be purchased in 15 psi and 30 psi. How do I know which I should be purchasing? Our FV have a max pressure of 36 psi (.25 Mpa) and a working pressure of 21 psi (.15Mpa).

Sorry for what may be pretty basic question!

Thanks!
    You shouldn't need anything above 15PSI depending on your usage. We use our fermenters as true uni's, crashing and carbing in the fermenter and all have 15 PSI PRV's.

Comment

You need to confirm the pressure rate with your supplier.
      General speaking it can hold 15psi.
      If inner thickness>/=3mm,maybe can hold 25-30psi.
      I think the FV should come with PRV,for free.
      You don't have to buy it in addition.
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      Gavin

Please E-mail me at any time

We Specialize In Designing And Fabricating High Quality Tanks/Equipments For The Brewing Industry!

Email:
      sungoodmachinery@vip.163.com
      gavin@sungoodmachinery.com

www.sungoodmachinery.com(Updating)
      Great Quality,Affordable Prices,24hours After-sales Service!
      The Brand You Know,The People You Trust,The Quality You love!

Comment

Originally posted by Sungood Machinery View Post
        You need to confirm the pressure rate with your supplier.
        General speaking it can hold 15psi.
        If inner thickness>/=3mm,maybe can hold 25-30psi.
        I think the FV should come with PRV,for free.
        You don't have to buy it in addition.
        The inner walls are 3mm and I have told working pressure is 21 psi and max pressure is 36 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by krichard View Post
          You shouldn't need anything above 15PSI depending on your usage. We use our fermenters as true uni's, crashing and carbing in the fermenter and all have 15 PSI PRV's.
          Thank you krichard! We intend to use them as true uni's as well.

Comment

The best PVRV valves we've found are made by Definox. 15 psi will handle anything a fermenter is meant to do, and if your vessel is rated a bit higher, that's good insurance.

Notice I wrote "PRVRV", not "PRV". The extra V is for Vacuum, and if you don't have vacuum protection, you may get to witness an expensive vessel collapse from a seemingly small mistake--caustic sprayed into CO2, cold water sprayed into a hot vessel, draining the vessel without opening a vent, etc. The Definox vacuum-relief is set at 0.1 psi, and works flawlessly.

If you mean to force-carbonate or naturally carbonate in the fermenter, you'll also want a good, adjustable, Pressure Control Valve. Ours are made by Handtmann and are adjustable from nearly 0 psi to 15 psi.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Fementor VPRV

Tassalini and Definox are both solid choices. The Tassalini VPRV are also adjustable if that helps you out.

Adam

Comment

As I understand it in most states, certainly in Washington, if a tank is to be under no more than one Bar of pressure (15psi) it does not need to be certified by ASME and it does not require periodic inspection by state pressure vessel inspectors. Something to think about when the Boiler Inspector comes around.

That and the whole exploding thing.
                Russell Everett
                Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                Bainbridge Island Brewing
                Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

In Oregon, it's under 1 bar (15 psi).

That, and the whole imploding thing! https://www.google.com/search?q=beer...utf-8&oe=utf-8
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Hah yeah! Think this one shows a good reason why you don't heat up a tank to clean it, cap it, then "ooops, left the glycol on!"
                    Russell Everett
                    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by steelhead26 View Post
                      Tassalini and Definox are both solid choices. The Tassalini VPRV are also adjustable if that helps you out.

Adam
                      We've got Tassalinis here. And so I can add something actually useful to this thread beyond amusing youtube videos, you can make a rig with a triclamp T where one end is your VPRV, one end is a trusted gauge, and one end is some connection to your co2 system. Pressurize to 15psi (or whatever you want it at) and then you can adjust the VPRV to hiss at that pressure. We do this periodically to check each one, they can get out of whack over time. And do it if you blow one sometime (and you will), you should check it next chance you get in case it got out of adjustment.
                      Russell Everett
                      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
                        We've got Tassalinis here. And so I can add something actually useful to this thread beyond amusing youtube videos, you can make a rig with a triclamp T where one end is your VPRV, one end is a trusted gauge, and one end is some connection to your co2 system. Pressurize to 15psi (or whatever you want it at) and then you can adjust the VPRV to hiss at that pressure. We do this periodically to check each one, they can get out of whack over time. And do it if you blow one sometime (and you will), you should check it next chance you get in case it got out of adjustment.
                        I need to test my Tassalinis and this looks easy to set up. What type and where did you get your "trusted gauge".
                        Dave Cowie
                        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
                        Nevada City, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
                          I use our pressure gauge tester to periodically test our pressure valves. It adds some peace of mind. The TC flange is for attaching pressure valves. Just crank the regulator up until the valve starts to release and note the pressure on the digital gauge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 11 12 TG 002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	190911

We use fixed PVRVs to protect our tanks, and adjustable spunding valves for spunding. Belt and suspenders.
                          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                          X