Frankenbrew Mash Tun Clean Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenbrew Mash Tun Clean Out?

For those of you that are using flat top dairy tanks as mash tuns, how much of a pain is it to clean those out? Are you just using a shovel and climbing in once you've gotten what you can reach from the outside?

The only one I've worked at was waist high at the sides and we were able to use a flat blade shovel to lift out the spent grains into blue plastic drums on a pallet, 4 drums to a pallet. The rest, what little there was; went into the floor drain.

Comment

We wheel in one of our 2 yard dumpsters to the side of the mash tun and start shoveling from the top.

Comment

Mine is about 5 1/2 feet in the air and I shovel it out in under 20 minutes. It's a bit of work but I like to think I'm preventing brewer's droop.

Comment

Clean out

Our mash tun is a dairy tank and its top rim sits a little higher than stomach height. We clean it out with a shovel into trash barrels that we dolly outside for the farmer to pick up. Its a lot of work, but it only take 20 - 30 minutes to clean it out.
          Bill Walden
          Oddball Brewing Co.
          Suncook, NH

Comment

Mash tun

I have a 7bbl system and use a 275 gal dairy tank (got for a great price) and use unionjacktools.com one piece shovel under their brewery section. It works great, I shovel it into 1/2 cut barrels on a dolly and then rinse it out at the end into the grant with a nylon bag so very little goes down the drain.
            Mike
            Michael Ieronimo
            Brass Works Brewing Company, LLC
            President/ Head Brewer

Comment

Working...
            X