Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glycol Piping Design Question - Branches off the trunk for more than 1 tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Piping Design Question - Branches off the trunk for more than 1 tank?

I tried searching for this but didn't come up with any hits...

I'm curious if there is any performance drawbacks to running branches off the trunk lines to supply glycol to two or more tanks? My plan was to size the branches so that if all the tanks on the branch are calling for glycol at the same time that there is adequate flow. The shorter runs to the individual tanks from the branch would then be sized appropriately for that particular tank, each having its own solenoid and isolation valves. The reason for doing this is to simplify the header design as our tanks aren't all in nice neat little rows. Would a bypass valve be needed on each branch if one was being placed between the trunks?

The longest branch would be approx. 25' of pipe from the trunk and would serve two tanks (the biggest being two 30 bbl fermenters).

Cheers!
    - Chris
    Christopher Tkach
    Idle Hands Craft Ales
    Malden, MA
    chris@idlehandscraftales.com

Use flow balancing valves on each tank to ensure that adequate flow is getting to each one. And if you have a mechanical engineer friend handy, have them run the calcs on the line sizes to make sure everything can handle it.

Comment

Working...
    X