Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewhouse Design Recommendations

Hi All,

I was wondering what are some good reference materials with regards to designing a brewhouse? I know Kunze and The Practical Brewer have some good calculations, but I was wondering what else is out there? If there is a book I should be reading, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BreweryTech; 01-12-2016, 07:43 PM.

It depends on what information you're looking for. The best way to get practical information is to go to breweries, ask about their system. Efficiency, design aspects they would change and why etc. Take pictures. Find a supplier you want to work with and ask for references in your area using their equipment and get those brewers' opinions. The more brew staff at a given brewery you can speak to the better.

Comment

Brewhouse Design

So let me get this right - you are a brewery consultant working in brewery engineering and you are asking where to find information about how to design brewery equipment. Sounds like you have the cart a little bit before the horse, but maybe you should contact the Siebel Institute or UC Davis and actually learn something about the brewing industry before you try to advise others. Just sayin'.

Comment

The EBC Manuals of Good Practice are great.

Too bad I still haven't found the mashing technology volume

Comment

"The EBC Manuals of Good Practice are great" - but they are written by and for big breweries, not micros, though I agree there is some sueful stiff in them.

Hallo Mr consultant - you know what the alternative and often true of an expert (sorry ex spurt) is? I'm not normally this rude about people, but I get cheesed off with people pretending to know stuff and then asking (me) to give them the answers for nowt - and this doesn't apply just to brewing by any means, though I think after 40 years in it I have a reasonable background.
          dick

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the rude responses! For the record, I'm a Brewer who is helping a friend of mine design his brewhouse using a local fabricator. This isn't a paid role, I'm just helping a friend.

Anyways, I am very familiar with brewing on many different systems but want a better way to quantify ideal vorlauff rates, collection rates, whirlpool speeds, KO speed/ Heat Exchanger sizing, ideal port locations, etc. I am looking to have a better concept of ideal vessel geometry and ideal surface area for steam jackets. Just knowing I typically collect X amount of barrels within 90 minutes just doesn't provide enough information. The information should be out there given the number of manufacturers. They can't all be re-inventing the wheel. As I stated before, I'm just lending a hand, but it would also be helpful for me to have a better grasp on the details of brewhouse design. Many of these topics have been discussed on this forum but I am looking for calculations, not opinions. I will look into the EBC Manuals of Good Practice.

Thanks again for the quick judgement.

Comment

yeah

better way to quantify ideal vorlauff rates (differential pressure transmitter and turbidity sensor), collection rates (varies), whirlpool speeds (2-3m/s as per Kunze), KO speed (30 mins)/ Heat Exchanger sizing (do the math), ideal port locations (bigger topic to answer), etc. I am looking to have a better concept of ideal vessel geometry (study the literature) and ideal surface area for steam jackets (engineer will calculate). Just knowing I typically collect X amount of barrels within 90 minutes just doesn't provide enough information (yup) The information should be out there given the number of manufacturers (most manufacturers are just copying other manufacturers). They can't all be re-inventing the wheel (unfortunately there is very little innovation, but there should be more). As I stated before, I'm just lending a hand, but it would also be helpful for me to have a better grasp on the details of brewhouse design. Many of these topics have been discussed on this forum but I am looking for calculations, not opinions. I will look into the EBC Manuals of Good Practice.

Kunze, Briggs, Lewis/Bamforth, Bolton/Quain...a few others, but i agree it seems like this is a bit over your head..(not to be rude or disrespectful).

Thanks again for the quick judgement.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
              X