Mesh Bag in Fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh Bag in Fermenter

I'm about to condition one of beers with oak chips. I plan to put them in a mesh bag and I know I've read people saying they tie the bag off for easy extraction, but the only place I see to tie it off would be outside of the fermenter. My concern is that the string would have a wicking effect and contaminate the beer. I think I'm missing something here. Suggestions?

Are you going to put oak chips in during the primary fermentation?
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by BackwardGal View Post
      I'm about to condition one of beers with oak chips. I plan to put them in a mesh bag and I know I've read people saying they tie the bag off for easy extraction, but the only place I see to tie it off would be outside of the fermenter. My concern is that the string would have a wicking effect and contaminate the beer. I think I'm missing something here. Suggestions?
      If you have racking arms in your tanks, its not a big deal (we have both with and without) We toss the bags in loose, and tie them off.

If you have to tie them off, use fishing line. It's easy to sanitize the piece you need and you can clamp it. We will even use this technique on our brites (they do leak a small amount though)

We never had any issues.

(*use this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for your infected beer or other issues that may arise)
      Thanks,
      Eulie

Comment

We have used hemp string tied off outside the fermenter and haven't had a problem.

Comment

Weld loops onto your dry hop port cover or the manway door, our tanks come with them and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
            Are you going to put oak chips in during the primary fermentation?
            No, conditioning. Everything happens in the fermenter and then I'll move it to the brite for carb.

Comment

Originally posted by BackwardGal View Post
              No, conditioning. Everything happens in the fermenter and then I'll move it to the brite for carb.
              Ok, I was worried you was going to try it in the ferm. Others have given all of my suggestions to tie the bag off and I do agree with you about leaving the string outside. Doing a sanitary weld onsite won't be cheap but weld on to manway door is your best bet. Have you considered oak spirals?
              Mike Eme
              Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
                Ok, I was worried you was going to try it in the ferm. Others have given all of my suggestions to tie the bag off and I do agree with you about leaving the string outside. Doing a sanitary weld onsite won't be cheap but weld on to manway door is your best bet. Have you considered oak spirals?
                I have considered the spirals, but our tanks use large internal cooling coils rather than jackets. I'm not sure how that would interfere with the spirals, but I plan to give them a shot maybe next time. I'm looking just for the fresh oak profile, so no spirits this time. I'm just going to boil them a few minutes to sterilize and pull some of the 'newness' out of them. That being said, I think I just realized I can probably tie off on the coil!

Comment

Don't use string. Use fishing line.

Comment

Or stainless steel wire!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X