Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yeast Management products, what do I need to know??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Management products, what do I need to know??

Preface: 8 year homebrewer, 5 years all grain, 4 years working towards opening Wages Brewing Company. And I couldn't find the answer to this with a Google search...

So, BSG Has "Yeast Management" products, and I'm certain other companies have similar things. What do I need to know??

I read about "Superfood" and it sounds like a yeast nutrient. So I'm assuming these are all yeast nutrients: Superfood, Startup, Yeastex 61, Yeastex 82, Biocloud??

My questions are:

1) What experiences do y'all have with these products?

2) What other similar products are there? And who should I be considering them?

3) Which ones would be considered "vegan"? "Organic"?

4) Anything I should consider?

Thanks in advance! Phil
    Wages Brewing Company
    West Plains, Missouri
    The Middle of Nowhere Never Tasted So Good!

Have you read yeast by chris white?

In Yeast, Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff adeptly cover yeast selection, cultivating and handling of cultures and the art of rinsing/washing yeast cultures.

Comment

I haven't read that book yet. Are you implying it covers the difference in those products?
      Wages Brewing Company
      West Plains, Missouri

Comment

proper oxygenation is almost all you need. so long as you're not brewing adjunct lagers and not getting enough FAN. the next problem might be getting enough zinc but unless you're having issues I would avoid adding nutrients and concentrate on proper pitching, and aseptic harvesting.

the best nutrition for the yeast is dissolved oxygen and malt
        I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks!
          Wages Brewing Company
          West Plains, Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Yeast View Post
            proper oxygenation is almost all you need. so long as you're not brewing adjunct lagers and not getting enough FAN. the next problem might be getting enough zinc but unless you're having issues I would avoid adding nutrients and concentrate on proper pitching, and aseptic harvesting.

the best nutrition for the yeast is dissolved oxygen and malt
            Agreed. FAN shouldn't be a problem unless you're brewing 'Cheap N' Scary Malt Liquor' or some hideous 'Not Yer Grandpappy's Sarspariller'. Zinc may be a problem depending on your water supply and piping, so you can put a little yeast nutrient or even better (and cheaper) zinc sulfate heptahydrate. Big beers can sometimes use a little nutrient as insurance, but enough o2 and healthy yeast and it'll be fine.
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We use the Startup from BSG. A little peace of mind doesn't hurt. It's also cheap enough.
              You could throw in some yeast from a previous batch in the last 15 min of the boil as well, just as you would a nutrient.

Comment

Originally posted by wlw33 View Post
                We use the Startup from BSG. A little peace of mind doesn't hurt. It's also cheap enough.
                You could throw in some yeast from a previous batch in the last 15 min of the boil as well, just as you would a nutrient.
                That's interesting. Do I literally just get some of the trub and toss in at 15 minutes, or is there a greater procedure to that? Saving money AND reducing TSS/BOD sounds like a winner to me!
                Wages Brewing Company
                West Plains, Missouri

Comment

by Jamie Martin, Brewmaster, Dells Brewing Co. Aerating yeast – I stumbled upon this by process accident one day when I was short on oxygen. First I transfer my yeast into the fermenter along…

Yep.
                  If you have any expired yeast packages you can use that too.

Comment

Originally posted by wlw33 View Post
                    http://www.probrewer.com/library/stu...ast-practices/

Yep.
                    If you have any expired yeast packages you can use that too.
                    Awesome! Thanks!
                    Wages Brewing Company
                    West Plains, Missouri

Comment

Working...
                    X