Do trappist breweries pay excise tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do trappist breweries pay excise tax?

Are these breweries exempt from excise tax, either state or local, since they are religious organizations? I know most are outside the US, but there is one in Massachusetts called St. Josephs. Also, (and not that I would do anything like this) what's stopping me from calling my brewery the Church of Beer or something and skipping out on taxes? Just curious.

I suppose if you could make a brewery that followed one of these purposes, nothing would be stopping you...

Exempt Purposes - Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)

The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

Comment

I believe ImagineNation Brewing in Missoula MT wanted to be a501c3. Not sure if they achieved that or not.
      Mike Elliott
      Head Brewer
      Philipsburg Brewing Co.
      Montana

Comment

If your tax people are anything like the UK authorities, even though this is written in, and appears to be an open door, it would only be tax free when used for personal consumption, i.e. by the religious personnel - the monks, their immediate guests etc., on the premises and not anything sold commercially for the financial support of the organisation. In other words, just like larger scale homebrew.

However - good luck with it!
        dick

Comment

This is a bit of a silly question, but hey, there has been a lot of that here lately. https://estatelawtexas.wordpress.com...axes-and-beer/. This should answer it, even though I think you knew the answer before asking anyway.

Comment

Just to be clear for posterity: I am not seriously trying to create a church of beer. I'm just asking out of curiosity. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Working...
            X