Sticky CIP ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky CIP ball

I have a rotating CIP ball that gets stuck and stops rotating. It is one of these from GWKent:

Rotating spray ball for better coverage of CIP application and time saving. A 100 mesh screen gasket require inline required to operating spray ball.

Any tips for getting it to not stick? I have tried working some food grade silicone lubricant in to the movable section, but to no avail. If I have it out and turn by hand, it might spin freely for a while, then suddenly stick for a while.

Thanks,
    Kevin

A couple of possible reasons

DON'T USE ANY GREASE. The rotating heads are more likely to stick afterwards, due to retaining particulate matter which will jam the bearing surfaces, and secondly, in spite of it supposedly being food grade grease - grease + beer is not good news for head and hygiene reasons.

Firstly, and this is a common problem, check what pressure is required to spin the head. Other rotating heads I have worked with require about 2.5 bar at the head to operate properly. I know they quote a flow rate, and this will normally dictate, (or is be dictated by?) the pressure, but worth a check as they don't quote it. Check you flow rate really is at least the specified flow rate.

Secondly, make sure the initial rinse water is clean (doesn't need to be fresh, but just not full of recycled solids

Thirdly, make sure the heads are vertical so that the design surface areas only are touching, not excessive areas not designed to be bearing surfaces.

Fourthly, make sure your detergents do not deposit calcium scale, and if you have high carbonate / bicarbonate water, do not cold rinse after a hot cycle unless you are going to follow with an acid rinse.
    dick

Comment

Check the following thread. Lots of info from the great folks on this board.

Comment

If you can afford to swap it out for a static - do it. It doesn't take much to block them.

Comment

Working...
        X