Anyone recognize this growth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognize this growth?

Just about to transfer a beer and noticed this growth on top. Anyone recognize it? I've asked several of my sour brewing friends and they're all baffled.

It smells and tastes fine. It's been sitting in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks.

I'm going to take it to a brewery with a lab. This batch was supposed to go in a barrel, so I'm not risking anything. But wanted to know if anyone had opinions before they plate it.

This isn't a microscope, just a straight shot from my phone. Weirdest thing I've ever seen on a beer.

Cheers!
    Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_162543.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	194137
    Steve Llewellyn
    Function Brewing
    Bloomington, Indiana

dafaq, ramen?

Comment

I was googling some pellicle formations and it looks similar, though still different, from what I've seen on some brett aged and soured beers. Sure is a strange pellicle but maybe just a variation of some sort of brett or pediococcus. My best guess is pedicoccus, as it tends to get "ropey" looking. Apparently there is no known pathogens that are dangerous to humans that will grow in beer....just some that may be objectional to some. Have you tasted it? I'd taste it.

here's a couple similar photos.

Comment

Tastes fine. But it probably just hasn't taken over yet.

From talking around, it sounds like it probably is pedio. Now I have to find out where it came from and destroy it.
        Steve Llewellyn
        Function Brewing
        Bloomington, Indiana

Comment

Those pics certainly look alike.

Comment

Originally posted by SamWBrewmaster View Post
            Apparently there is no known pathogens that are dangerous to humans that will grow in beer....just some that may be objectional to some.
            E. Coli and C. Botulinum are rare but can certainly be present in beer. Both have serious health concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim ComtoniKa View Post
              dafaq, ramen?
              I think that's solved that.

Comment

After careful consideration, the award goes to Pichia membranifaciens.

A quote from my PhD friend:

"There's at least one report of P. membranifaciens being naturally present on barley, and we've isolated it from sycamore trees around town and grapes from ------. It's just another one of Mother Nature's nasty surprises waiting to ruin a good batch of beer..."
                Steve Llewellyn
                Function Brewing
                Bloomington, Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by AT-JeffT View Post
                  E. Coli and C. Botulinum are rare but can certainly be present in beer. Both have serious health concerns.
                  they don't grow in beer but they could grow in wort. in beer the pH is too low and the oxygen doesn't get high enough before it would go so completely bad it wouldn't be drinkable anyway. clostridium spores survive the boil for some time and some of them survive the full 60-90m but they won't germinate in the beer at all and pose no threat.
                  I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

pasteurize if possible and pray. or there are always barrels if the recipe will suite/work well for an aged beer/sour :/

Comment

Working...
                    X