Filthy kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filthy kegs

We have several accounts that appear to be storing our empty kegs inside their grease traps. We do not have a kitchen and I am not setup to handle, nor do I want grease of any kind in my brew house. The Brewer in me wants to stop selling these accounts beer. The owner in me realizes we can't turn down sales for a minor inconvenience. Currently I'm using a scrub brush and PBW to handle the offenders, works great but smelly and time consuming. What is everyone else doing to handle this?

Over the years I have found all sorts of things on kegs food being the most common even cigarette butts and yes the winner a used rubber. Finding grease albeit a small amount is a given I usually use Dawn and a acid to clean it and have had good luck. Sounds like you know who the culprit is I would go over and ask to see where they are stored and see if there are any other options for storage. If there are not I guess if it is as bad as you say it is I would drop the account I simply cannot imagine that a business has that much disrespect to return something in that bad of shape. Hopefully you can educate them and they will change storage areas. YUCK
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

We call it the 'Salad Challenge'. As in, can you make a salad with things you found in a day of keg washing? We use an acid soap by a local manufacturer called Saniwash on the outside of kegs. Scrubadubdub sucka! Gotta get zen about it. "Dirty outside; dirty inside".
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We feel your pain. I've seem lots of these grease-covered kegs over the years. My theory is that the empty kegs are being stored outside, directly under a kitchen vent fan outlet with no grease trap, or one that's never been cleaned.

We don't see this as much as we did in the past--is it possible that regulatory agencies are being a bit more strict about grease running down the side of a restaurant/pub?
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X