Retro-Fit Insulation For Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro-Fit Insulation For Tanks

I have two 7bbl fermenters and a hot liquor tank that I need to insulate as they are single skinned.

Can anyone recommend a decent supplier for neoprene or any other decent insulation that I can cut and fit myself?

Cheers

Graeme
    McClellan's
    Fort Collins, CO

Originally posted by Hirsty View Post
    I have two 7bbl fermenters and a hot liquor tank that I need to insulate as they are single skinned.

Can anyone recommend a decent supplier for neoprene or any other decent insulation that I can cut and fit myself?

Cheers

Graeme
    McClellan's
    Fort Collins, CO
    Earlier this week I purchased some closed cell foam from Seattle Fabrics ( http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neopre...osed Cell Foam ) for the same purpose. Neoprene was terrifically expensive, and 5mm is the thickest available. But the closed cell foam was WAY cheaper. The fellow at the shop showed me the closed cell foam, and I bought a couple yards to try out. The stuff I bought was 1/2" thick, but when you look at it, it's actually two sheets laminated together. They had open cell foam as well, that already had a fabric backing, but it will tend to absorb liquids like a sponge. The closed cell foam won't. I'll fit it to my fermenter this weekend, so I can't say for sure how it will turn out, but it seems pretty basic. The fellow at the shop recommended laminating a sheet of fabric (like Sunbrella, which they also sell) on the outside. He suggested using 3M Spray 77 (non-permanent) or 3M Foam Fast 74 adhesive to laminate the fabric to the foam.

I'm going to make it like a waterski jacket, and wrap it around the fermenter with the seam in front where the tank penetrations are. I'll try to put grommets in the perimeter of the foam to lace it closed, but I'm not sure if I can get a grommet into the foam, so I may need to sew up a fabric sleeve for the foam, and put the gommets in that. My plan is to make the conical section separate, and lace it to the cylindrical section via the grommets.

Check in your area for a fabric supply store like this; you may be able to find it locally. If not, you can always order from Seattle Fabrics, though it's bulky and there may be a dimensional charge that makes shipping prohibitive. They had more foam than what is listed in their website. The stuff I bought was 1/2 thick, and 60 inches wide. It should work well for me, although my fermenter is much smaller than yours. You might need to make the sections in pieces.

I'm not sure what the temperature rating is, however, so I don't know if it would be suitable for the HLT.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Armaflex. Ask for it by name: https://www.google.com/search?q=arma...utf-8&oe=utf-8

This stuff isn't cheap, but it's the standard for pipe/vessel insulation for low temperatures. Closed-cell foam, easily cut and fitted. Buy the Armaflex-brand contact adhesive and the insulating tape, and you can make an air-tight jacket that will be everything but easy to clean. I believe that Armaflex also sells a vinyl-based paint that can be used to seal the foam, making it look better and easier to keep clean. WARNING--brewery cats feel that this insulation was designed specifically for sharpening their claws!
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thank you very much. I'll check it all out!

Comment

Sorry--I should have been more thorough in my reply--the Armaflex is good for the fermenters, but not for the HL tank. For that, you'll want high-density fiberglass insulation. This is specifically made for higher temperature vessel insulation. Sorry I don't have a source or brand handy--we haven't needed any in years.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thanks Timm

Comment

Working...
            X