Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Ice for kettle sour

Hi All,

Sorry for another kettle sour question. I feel like I've heard of this or seen it somewhere, but I struck out trying to dig it up.
    Does/has anyone ever used dry ice in the kettle to 1) bring wort temp down to lacto temps, and 2) displace the o2 simultaneously?

I don't get the cleanest lauter, so I'm worried about about recirc'in through my hx to bring temps down from 180, and I want to take every precaution possible to get the o2 out of the kettle. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sounds like a good idea.

If you're worrying about recircing through the HX, can you whirlpool first, and then go through the HX, ideally going back into the kettle through the whirlpool arm?

Comment

I've made over 30 batches of kettle sours now and never done anything more than purge the headspace of the kettle and take the stack off and cover the top. Our kettle sours always turn out beautifully clean and tart.
      I do think it is important to add a good amount of acid malt late in the mash to bring your wort down to about 4.5 ph.

Personally I would not do the dry ice thing, you'd need a crap ton to get your kettle down to temp. Just whirlpool and go back to your kettle through the hx. If you really feel the need you could hook up your stone and bubble co2 as you transfer.

Comment

Working...
      X