Racking Arm Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racking Arm Design

I have some 6BBL tanks that I've had for about a year now. I really like the quality of the tanks but have some questions on the racking arm.
    My current tans have a 2" TC fitting connecting the racking arm to the tank. My old tanks had DIN fittings on the racking arm. I am looking at purchasing a 10BBL fermenter from this same manufacturer but his tanks come with the TC fitting and not a DIN fitting.

I really do not like the TC fitting on the racking arm. It scares the hell out of me loosening the fitting and rotating the racking arm (this is usually a two man job I'm so nervous it's going to spring loose and beers going to come flowing). Does anyone else have TC fittings on their fermenters? Should I insist on a DIN fitting on this new tank?

Any insight would be great.

You are the person ordering this kit - if you want something changing, the supplier should change it, albeit at possible minor cost due to differing costs of these fittings.

Personally I hate TC fittings for most uses, but I know people who love them and use them everywhere, so I suggest you go with what you are happy with. If the supplier won't change, you have two basic choices - get the tanks without fittings (at reduced cost) and get them fitted out to your spec once on site, or tell that supplier where to go.....
    dick

Comment

I agree with Dick; you're paying for it, get what you want. If that manufacturer won't do DIN fittings, and you feel like you need them, get the tanks from someone else.

My current 2bbl pilot tanks have TCs for the racking arms, but my 10s/20s/30s are all DIN. I have used both and certainly prefer DIN for a rotating arm. That being said, I never had a big problem (even on a larger, like 90bbl, tank) using TCs. I am curious if your issue couldn't be traced to procedure or possibly gasket material? How loose are you having to take the clamps to more the arm? Some gaskets allow a more free rotation, maybe something as simple as that could help?

Comment

I agree about the possibility of having to change suppliers, I was just curious on others peoples views.

I am using white teflon gaskets, mainly because they slip easier. I loosen the TC about 1-2 turns, grab onto the clamp to keep it together with one hand and turn the racking arm with the other hand. I have never had a problem, just one of those fears in the back of my mind.

Comment

Clamp Gasket

Originally posted by wailingguitar View Post
          I agree with Dick; you're paying for it, get what you want. If that manufacturer won't do DIN fittings, and you feel like you need them, get the tanks from someone else.

My current 2bbl pilot tanks have TCs for the racking arms, but my 10s/20s/30s are all DIN. I have used both and certainly prefer DIN for a rotating arm. That being said, I never had a big problem (even on a larger, like 90bbl, tank) using TCs. I am curious if your issue couldn't be traced to procedure or possibly gasket material? How loose are you having to take the clamps to more the arm? Some gaskets allow a more free rotation, maybe something as simple as that could help?
          Have you tried using an envelope gasket? It has the slip of the Teflon, but it also adds some compression ability with the rubber core. This is what we regularly recommend and people seem to like the way it works.

Cheers!
          Dwight
          Brewery Gaskets
          Jet Gasket & Seal Co
          Brewerygaskets.com
          (702) 448-6787

Comment

Working...
          X