Is White Labs Screwing You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is White Labs Screwing You?

I'm not sure what's happening over there, but it's been 10 days and a credit card charge on a yeast order, and we're still out of a fresh pitch.

Anybody else ready to ditch them?

Real Brewers Yeast

I use Real Brewers Yeast out of San Diego.
    Great service and a fraction of the cost of WL.
    Talk to James and tell them Dave sent you.
    David Meadows
    Brew House Technologist
    TECHNOBREW
    (619)840-3311
    david@technobrew.com

Comment

They just did a pretty big software update on their ordering system, have you called to see what is going on? I have found them to be very responsive if we have had any problems with an order.

Comment

Yeah, some kind of software update went awry. I've received several apologetic emails already saying to give them a call if you have a problem. Got my last order just fine though.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Re

I cheated on White Labs twice - once with BSI, once with Inland Island - never again.

Comment

Thanks for the post! I ordered yeast about 6 days ago and nothing yet. I'll be sure to contact them asap.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
            Cheers,

Sean Goddard
            Brewmaster
            Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

We have never had an issue with WL quality or service. We use several other suppliers for wild yeast or bacteria pitches. I'm thinking it may have just been an anomaly? Also, side note, I have heard several negative reports about Real Brewers Yeast. Not going to name any names but I know 3 brewers locally that have had infected batches so proceed with caution if choosing that route, "you get what you pay for."

Comment

Originally posted by mkunce View Post
                I cheated on White Labs twice - once with BSI, once with Inland Island - never again.
                BSI has terrible service, always sending the wrong pitch, seriously 1 out of 6 is wrong

Comment

Originally posted by BostonianBrewer View Post
                  BSI has terrible service, always sending the wrong pitch, seriously 1 out of 6 is wrong
                  I've never used White Labs for yeast, only use BSI. In over 3 years they have never failed me. Best customer service I've ever experienced in ANY industry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
                    I've never used White Labs for yeast, only use BSI. In over 3 years they have never failed me. Best customer service I've ever experienced in ANY industry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    I switched to BSI from a bigger lab FOR the customer service. They are the best. Return my emails right away, pitches always on time and correct. Been using them for years.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonianBrewer View Post
                      Wow, bad luck. we have use BSI for nearly four years and nearly 100 pitches and never been sent the wrong one. Never had problems with White Labs either. Our only problem is not planning well enough in advance. Now we have had issues with FedEx but even those have been small.

Todd

Comment

I'm a much bigger fan of WYeast than I am of White Labs. I find them less expensive, and their product to be faster to achieve solid fermentation for me. I brew two consecutive days to fill the fermenter and am able to to pitch for the first day only, and get the cell count high enough to batch on top of the first day when using WYeast. I've not had similar luck with White Labs, and this saves me considerable money on top of the fact that WYeast is already less expensive from the start.

-- also, as a "walk down memory lane" moment, when I started homebrewing I used both, and came to love WYeast because of the slap packs. I could buy just one at the same or less cost as the two vials you need of White Labs, and I always seemed to find that fermentation started more quickly and more vigorously with WYeast, without exception.

Comment

Working...
                        X