Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accidentally let some PAA into my beer, will it be OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally let some PAA into my beer, will it be OK?

Greetings. This is my first post on probrewer as my good friend and I have finally gotten our microbrewery startup in motion. We have just filled 4 out of our 5 7BBL uni tanks and everything seems to be going well so far aside from a few issues here and there. Today however leaves me with a question that I felt I should ask everyone. When racking the first 3.5BBL's of our double IPA into the 7BBL fermenter today, it seemed as we let a small amount of PAA into the tank as we were transferring. I setup a T at the bottom port and let all the sani bleed out of the line before letting it go into the tank but the sightglass seemed to be lighter on top and got me thinking that I maybe didnt let enough beer bleed out until all the PAA was gone. I would estimate that no more than a quart or so went into the tank and we will be putting the other 3.5BBLs into the tank tomorrow. I've just never used PAA until going "pro" and am not sure what sort of possible negative effect this will have on our beer. Sorry if this was a redundant post I just couldn't find any info by doing a quick search. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Well the good thing about PAA is it breaks down into non-toxic byproducts. The added oxygen (peroxide) won't hurt anything. It would also add some Acidic acid (vinegar) to the batch. Mostly what you added is a quart of water, when you look at it from a ppm perspective. In the future remember its better to spill some wort.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Can you taste it in the beer? If not, no worries!
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Ah well, at least you will now remember to double check everything is fully drained off in future.

When we have contaminated filtered beer with PAA, there have sometimes been issues with flavour changes. However, I suspect that if you have yeast left in the beer, then the yeast will mop up the oxygen produced from the PAA before the PAA / oxygen has a chance to produce off flavours. Can't guarantee this, but although as a result of this bright beer tanks always had the PAA rinsed off, the unfiltered beer tanks didn't. So, yes, I go with Ted & Tim.
        dick

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone, I definitely now know to let more wort flow out before pumping it into the tank. I was honestly worried about the vinegar taste but with such a small amount and considering this is a hoppy double ipa and not a light lager or anything I am now more confident that we will be alright. We pumped in the other 3.5BBLs today so I definitely think it should be plenty diluted now, its just annoying to see the lighter layer on top in our sight tube. Cheers!

Comment

As an aside, that clearer layer in the sight tube is really only in the sight tube. I have noticed in our sight tubes that there is a bit of a reservoir at the bottom of the tube and not in the tank so that when you fill the thank that very small amount of PAA/sani/water, what have you, shows up in the tube as a stratified layer with the beer. It's not a full layer on top of the beer in the tank, really only about a tablespoon or so in the sight tube.

Comment

Working...
            X