PVPP dosage as a finning agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVPP dosage as a finning agent

Hello we have one problem beer that has too much Colloidal haze after a few weeks / months in the package. I have stopped filtering all together for flavor but this particular beer is getting lots of protien chunks.
    Im curious if one of you guys can help me wiht soem doeage rates, as far as I understand I can get the tank to -1C and shoot the PVPP into the top through the spray ball.

how much to use is my question per HL / bbl Lt etc.

the beer is a low abv beer, 6,5P OG and 2,5% alc...

thanks for the help!
    www.Lervig.no

Typically 40 g / hl, but of course this depends on haze results. I have known it as high as 70 g / hl. It needs to be soaked first for 30 minutes +, obviously with gentle agitation to stop it settling, and then dosed in on the transfer for even treatment. It settles pretty quickly once swollen, so in-line dosing is definitely best, rather than throwing it in via the sprayhead or similar. Peristaltic pumps work well with this stuff. You could try using silica hydrogel as well - again circa 40 g / hl as a starting point. You can mix the two in the same slurry without them affecting each other.

If you are prepared to use isinglass finings, then you could use isinglass / silica gel mixed. See AB Vickers (Lallemand) Burton on Trent for further details.
    dick

Comment

Hey Dick, its been a long time! THANKS
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Murphy View Post
        Hello we have one problem beer that has too much Colloidal haze after a few weeks / months in the package. I have stopped filtering all together for flavor but this particular beer is getting lots of protien chunks.
        Im curious if one of you guys can help me wiht soem doeage rates, as far as I understand I can get the tank to -1C and shoot the PVPP into the top through the spray ball.

how much to use is my question per HL / bbl Lt etc.

the beer is a low abv beer, 6,5P OG and 2,5% alc...

thanks for the help!
        PVPP has to be pre-hydrated with sterile de-aerated water and usually works best if you inject upon transfer. For me, PVPP in the fermenter presented too much of a risk for a contamination. If you're going for fermenter only fining I would suggest biofine through the dry hop port. However if you still want to use PVPP, Polyclar Brewbrite is a fine grade of PVPP combined with whirlfloc designed to be used in the brew kettle. That way you don't have to worry about sterility or DO pickup. It is recommended that you always filter when using PVPP however.

Comment

Working...
        X