Water Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filter

Does anyone have any experience with http://www.craftbrewwater.com/ ??

Specifically I am looking at the Cat Carbon systems. I am thinking of getting the 4 cubic foot one for my 1.25" main water line.

Our 1 1/4 inch 4 cubic foot Cat Carbon filter with automatic  backwashing valve. Great pretreatment for your Micro Brewery reverse osmosis system, or if you....

the sales person I talked with said the filter medium should last about 7 years and just needs backflushing about every 10 days. I have a 7bbl brewhouse with 15bbl tanks so double batching in one day is a must.

The water is pretty good here in Clackamas OR but I would like to get rid of the cloramines. the chloride test came back negative so I think they must be using cloramines in the water.

Any insight would be great and if anyone knows of a water filter system I could come look at in the Portland area I would love to come check it out.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Most water systems use Cloramines. They are less corrosive than chlorine.

Cloramine does not filter well out of water without heat and vigorous oxygenation and circulation.

Best way to reduce them is to add potassium or sodium metabisulfate to the water to sit overnight before heating to hot liquor. They will get scrubbed out with the sulfates.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Check out this site. Find a catalytic carbon filter that fits your flow rate and it will get the job done. We've been running the 1.5" 30 gpm option here for about a year now with no issues. I do foresee it being a major PITA to change the media out when it comes time to do so as the filter housing is pretty large and heavy.

Looking for reliable water treatment equipment for your home or business? Look no further than US Water Systems. Our industry-leading warranties and water experts are here for your every need.

Comment

To our knowledge maybe a third of water systems nationwide use chloramines. Most systems use plain old chlorine. The switch to chloramines has been accelerated by USEPA limits on chlorine breakdown products.

We size carbon and cat carbon tanks based upon water flow, and then calculate how large the tank must be to get the desired EBCT (contact time) with the carbon.

As a rule of thumb, I'd expect max flow from your 1.25" pipe to be about 31.25 gpm. If that approximates what you're trying to treat, and you want an EBCT of 10 minutes, you'll need a MUCH larger carbon tank. Running that flow through a 4 cu ft tank would result in an EBCT of less than 1 minute - which is insufficient. A 5 minute EBCT is typically sufficient if you treat water with chloramines using CGAC.

So.... I'd start by measuring (not estimating) the gpm flow you want to treat. Sometimes customers are OK with us spec'ing equipment based on flows that are a small percentage of the max possible flow given their pipe size. In these cases we typically suggest a flow restrictor to make sure the flow never overwhelms the installed equipment.

Russ
        Last edited by BuckeyeHydro; 03-23-2016, 06:45 AM.
        Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
        Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

Working...
        X