Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wheat in Wit?

(Try to say 5 times quickly

What wheat would one work with in Witbeer?

White winter, red winter, soft, hard or doesn't matter?

David
    David Cohen
    The Dancing Camel Brewing Co. Ltd.

wheat in wit

How about no malted wheats... Rolled white wheat at 30% or so. that is 70% base malt (good belg pils or german pils malt - ok, or american 2-row) and 30% rolled white wheat. Leave the malted wheat out.

Good luck.

Comment

We've used unmalted soft white wheat with great success.

Comment

we've used wheat grist at the 30/70 wheat to pils base malt while also using rice hulls to help with the vorlauf. base and rice hulls first to establish a good bed.

Comment

Technically your supposed to use unmalted wheat, but if its hard to find, just use a 50/50 pils- wheat malt base, if you want specialty malts thats your choice. With the right yeast and light spices your beer will be light and refreshing like you would need in the Mideast
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
            Technically your supposed to use unmalted wheat, but if its hard to find, just use a 50/50 pils- wheat malt base, if you want specialty malts thats your choice. With the right yeast and light spices your beer will be light and refreshing like you would need in the Mideast
            +1

(I used to call my version "Half-Wit")

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Wit Wheat

Hi all, thanks for the input. I actually did find a source for unmalted wheat which I will try to use instead of malted. I was wondering if the variety of wheat made a diff at all. For example, I found one local souce for durham wheat which is a very hard variety used mostly for pasta. That didn't sound too good so I dug around some more and found another local source for a winter red wheat. No soft winter white to be had in all the land (at least not in less-than-containerload quantities). I'll give the red a whirl and see how it turns out.

I've used malted wheat before in homebrew batches of Wit and used Randy Mosher's "cheat" adding flour to the the boil to get that wit haze. It did work - for a while. I found after a couple of months it completely dropped out and I was left with just a pale yellow. Curious if anyone else ever tried this and had similar results.

David
              David Cohen
              The Dancing Camel Brewing Co. Ltd.

Comment

i have used recipes using american 2 row, malted wheat, falked white wheat and a small amount of rolled oats =)

Comment

Unmalted all the way, baby!
                  I've tried both, and I notice better head retention and body with the unmalted. I like to alternate between my base pale malt and wheat. I add 25 kilos of 2 row, followed by 25 kilos of u.m.w., then about 2 1/2 gallons (about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket) of rice hulls. Never had a stuck mash, never had a poor extraction. The beer speaks for itself!
                  I think I'll have another one right now, thank you very much! :

Comment

Working...
                  X