Equipment to Measure Hot Wort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment to Measure Hot Wort

My refractometer's, digital and hand held keep coming up with wildly different numbers during my mash. It's driving me fucken insane.

What do you guys us to measure your gravity while the wort is hot?

We built a small wort chiller just for that reason. All samples are now tested at near ambient temperature. Much more accurate
    Justin Moore
    Head Brewer of Good Times
    Red Lodge Ales Brewing Co.
    Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

Got a pic?

Comment

Care to elaborate? A refractometer requires but a drop which cools pretty much instantly. Maybe it's your equipment? Have they been calibrated? When are you sampling? Does the digital have temperature compensation?

Comment

Mass flow meter.

Comment

Hydrometer is really the best way to go, refractometers can be made very inaccurate with suspended solids. So depending on where in your run-off you are, you could have high SS which would throw off your readings.

Comment

I've been using this Atago Plato digital refractometer and I could not be more pleased. It does take a few readings to get down to temp, but not long (or too long for my purposes). And when I test it out alongside my lab hydrometers, it is never off by more than 1/10th plato, and even there, there is the "my eye is reading the hydrometer part". Not cheap, but I am soooo glad I got it. Much easier to monitor runoff and pre-boil gravity.
              Dave Cowie
              Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
              Nevada City, CA

Comment

I've been using the same digital meter, and have been comparing it to the refractometer. Maybe I should be doing side by side with a hydrometer. Refract are shit.

Comment

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but Ray Lee's picture is similar to what we have to chill small wort samples
                  Justin Moore
                  Head Brewer of Good Times
                  Red Lodge Ales Brewing Co.
                  Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

Not sure I'd want to buy an expensive digital refractometer from a manufacturer that thinks that 75C = 212F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try image searching for 'sample cooler' on you browser. Boiler systems use them all the time and they can be repurposed for your needs. Often times cheaper than a specific built beer tool

Comment

Working...
                      X