Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Cell Count

Hi,

I'd like to being counting yeast to up my yeast re-use and slurry pitch game.

Could some of you recommend a microscope and hemocytometer from Amazon Prime that would be a good balance between function and cost? (a link?)

Steve

I would recommend buying a good second-user binocular microscope rather than new. For the same price (you should be able to get one for under $500) a known brand, eg. Olympus, Leica, Nikon, etc. will give you far better overall quality than a new 'unknown' make.

The quality in microscopes is the standard of the optics, so one of the above names will have excellent lenses that, looked after, will always be good.

For a hemocytometer, avoid cheap ones - you need an Improved Neubauer type from someone like LaborOptik or Hawksley.

Comment

Visit the #1 online store for premium-quality microscopes and microscope parts. From student to industrial to stereo to compound, get the microscope you need at AmScope. Guaranteed low prices and free U.S. shipping!

I have that exact same scope, you can find it on amazon for cheaper or ebay too.

I also have a old Nikon phase contrast that goes for about 2-3,000 dollars

I have a really awesome high quality neubauer hemocytometer and I have a cheap chinese one that came in a plastic package off ebay.

Guess which one is more accurate? they both are the same. one cost over 10x as much, the chinese one doesn't have as nice of lines. I can take a picture later and show you the difference between them but I strongly suggest the cheap amscope and a cheap hemocytometer if you're just starting out and just going to do cell counts

unless you buy semi-plan or plan objectives even on a high end name brand scope the optical quality these days is about the same out of an amscope cheap plastic thing. my amscope feels like a piece of cheap shit but the image quality is exactly the same as the Nikon if not better, although the Nikon has phase contrast and the amscope doesn't you don't use phase with a hemocytometer anyway.

unless you need the feel of a nice metal quality made frame buy a cheap scope for less than 200 bucks. and a cheapo hemocytometer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150310_125031018_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	190965Click image for larger version

Name:	vability vitality hemocytometer cell count.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	190966
      I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Beer Brewing Microscopes

We received recently this information about microscopes in a package from the Brewing Science Institute, you may check it to see if it is what you are looking for. Hope is useful.

Name:	Beer Brewing Microscope.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	190973

Comment

Name:	chinese hemocytometer.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	190974
          sure the nicer one is nicer but for a glass thing that will get broken if you let employees handle it you may as well get a cheap one.
          I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Working...
          X